RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Rider of the Mark


Chapter 15


Contingent of the Pompous Arse-Riders







***

"That horse's rear-end! That.... pile of cattle dung! That... that...."

"Pompous Arse," Aefre supplied.

"Thank you! Pompous arse! Pomp. Pass. Arse." …owyn popped the syllables, testing them on her lips. She thrust her arm out at the older woman, waiting for her to buckle the shoulder harness. "You know little of war!" …owyn dropped her voice pitch deep, mimicking her brother. "War is the providence of men! Bah!" She slung her gauntlet across the tent, only to stomp over to pick it up. "If women ran things, there would be no war!"

Aefre shook her head and smiled. "Yes, there would. Just think. Negotiations of treaties would have to be planned around our monthly cycles."

…owyn sat on the edge of her cot, laughing, "True. Can you imagine the men? Tiptoeing around us? Now, that would be a sight!" She pulled on her boots. "Do you need anything else?"

Aefre was pulling on her heavy riding gloves. "No, I think I have it all." She grabbed her weapons, her belt, and began to strap them on.

"You spent the night with Gamling last night?" …owyn asked quietly.

"Aye."

"And?"

Aefre stopped buckling. "You are much too curious for the shy virgin who hid in my room a few times."

"Hiding from Grima, yes! Hiding from one I wanted? No." Her smile faltered and she slowly began to belt on her own weapons. "If I could ever find one I want who wants me back."

The last of Aefre's gauntlets were pulled and strapped on. "What? There is a man impervious to your charms? You would have your pick of Horse Lords!"

"I don't want a Horse Lord."

Aefre could hear the wistfulness in the Shield Maiden's voice. "Oh honey, not the Elf?"

"No!" …owyn hissed. "He would probably use all my nicer smelling hair soaps!"

Understanding dawned on Aefre's features. "The Ranger-"

…owyn’s shoulders hitched as she stifled a sob. "He said I loved a shadow; a dream. And he wished me joy. On the eve of battle, he wished me joy!" She shook her head ruefully. "What a farce!"

"No, not a farce. Not at all." Aefre began to check everything one last time. "The eve of battle and I've found joy. Now I have to sneak behind and make sure that damned, arrogant Rider doesn't lose his head."

…owyn helped check Aefre's vambraces. "You're falling in love with him, aren't you?"

"Falling?" Aefre chuckled. "Try fell splat hard and before last night, if you must know." She turned and began to do the final checks of …owyn’s armor.

"I'm glad for you." …owyn admitted bashfully. "How do you know?"

"How do I know?" The older Shield Maiden did not mince words. "How did I know I was in love? With my husband or with Gamling? What did you feel for Aragon?"

…owyn was taken aback at the turning of the table. "My... my... mother always told me I should look for a man; one who was brave and honorable; one who would not back down to a true, honest fight. One who would treat me with respect and dignity. One who would listen to me and consider my counsel."

"That's all?"

"Well... yes." …owyn scowled in thought. "Is there more?"

Aefre laughed out loud. "Oh yes, there are a few more. Actually, two more and the rest will fall into place."

…owyn was now strapping on her weapons. "And what is that?"

Aefre's outfit was complete and she picked up her helmet. "Make sure he loves you more than his horse and will be a gentle and attentive lover. But most of all, he should make your soul sing."

…owyn was beyond confused. "My soul? Sing? How do I know it's doing that?"

"Don't worry. You will." Aefre patted her on the shoulder and lowered her voice. "Do you have a name, Rider?"

"Oh dear. Haven't really thought about that."

"Quickly! We haven't got all day."

…owyn scrunched her face for a moment. "Duh... der... Dernhelm . Dernhelm."

"Good choice. Dernhelm it is! Let's get out horses." Aefre grabbed the last piece pieces of armor, the chest and face plates for Adenydd and hurried out of the tent flap...

Straight into a stone wall.

A stone wall of a man.

"Ah. Willan! Just the man I want to see."

Willan was aghast. He shook his head back and forth -

*What do you think you are doing?*

His eyes grew bigger when …owyn pushed out behind her. "Aefre... no... Heldwhin... I..."

Both women were shoved backwards into the tent by massive paws. Willan blocked the tent flap and crossed his arms over his chest.

*What are you doing?*

"Willan, please. I realize this looks... strange..."

Willan's eyes bugged. *Oh?*

"Willan." Aefre put her hand on the giant's arm. "Please understand. …owyn and I can help. We're trained; we're not helpless or useless and we would both linger here. Rohan must aid Gondor and it's unfair to leave us behind. Besides," she hung her head and admitted bashfully, "I was left behind when Lufian died. I can't be left behind again." A rare grunt escaped the man's throat, as he shook his head and stepped slightly to the side. "Oh, Béma, thank you. I knew you would understand. Listen carefully. Bring the refugees into the city. House them anywhere. Give them chores, responsibilities. Set plenty of guards around the clock and change them out often. Keep them busy. Prepare for spring planting. It is time." She grabbed him at the waist and hugged him tightly. "I value your friendship, so very much. You mean the world to me." She turned him loose. "Where are our horses?"

Willan motioned down and further away - the furthest tether, apparently. Aefre thanked him again and went to step around him, when he grabbed her and pulled her into a fierce bearhug.

…owyn got one as well.

The two finally escaped the tent and almost finished gearing up their horses when Théoden's call went out.

"Hurry!" …owyn whispered, pulling up on Hengist.

Aefre was tugging at Adenydd's face plate. "Hang on... just a moment-" Finally, she pulled up on her mount, made sure her morningstar was secured tightly. She pulled her helmet over her head. "Ready?"

…owyn was pulling hers on as well. "Ready!"

The two trotted out and moved into the departing column of Riders. Aefre immediately began scanning the row, looking for the familiar figure...

Bah! He was too far away, she was too far back, but maybe that was a good thing for now. Aefre turned to check on …owyn, when she saw him - the little Hobbit standing forlornly in the dirt. She whistled once, gaining …owyn’s attention and pointing.

Seconds later, Meriadoc Brandybuck was ensconced on Hengist, in front of …owyn, grinning his little Halfling head off.

Smiling herself, Aefre settled in, Adenydd finding a comfortable stride when it dawned on her that she was riding into war - real war. It made her gut clench.

Unbeknownst to her, eyes from her past were fixated on her mare's rump.

***

They had finally settled in at a moderate trot after half an hour of hard riding.

***So far, so good. Three day ride. Not enough Rohirrim. Maybe Army of the Dead. Wretched odds. Aefre safe... safesafehothothotfierysafesafe for now Dréogan seems to be well rested and alert... I have a backache and could have used another one... two hours... Béma I could have slept the day hothothotwitchywoman in my-***

"You slept well last night, Gamling?"

"Well enough, my lord."

…omer was making rude *coughcoughnoisycough* sounds.

"Did you have something to say, youngling?"

"No, not me. I slept like a newborn colt, I did, even if the woman in the tent next to mine was calling to the glory of Béma and telling the Dunharrow that her *coughcoughGamlingcoughcoughcough* Horse Lord was the most spectacular rutting beast of the Riddermark!"

***There are times when I love my helmet. Now is one.***

"You slept well, sire?"

"Yes. I rested well." Théoden smiled to himself, reflections of an enjoyable evening well remembered. "Very well." …omer inhaled to cough and sputter again, but a look from Théoden stopped him.

"Hasn't changed a bit, has he?" Elfhelm, the Horse Lord from the Eastemnet had pulled up on the other side of Théoden.

Both Gamling and Théoden shook their heads.

They continued in silence for another ten minutes, watching the passing scenery, each ruminating on their own thoughts...

...feeling Dréogan tense beneath him.

***what the...***

Dréogan stopped dead in his tracks, nickering, sniffing the air.

…omer was immediately serious. "Gamling? Is something wrong?" Even Théoden stopped.

Dréogan was now nickering, worrying, pulling hard to the left. Gamling loosened his grip and the warhorse turned completely around, facing the Riders behind them.

"What is the matter with your horse?" …omer hissed.

"He hasn't changed a bit either, I see." Elfhelm whispered to the King.

Dréogan was now pulling at the reins, his nose out in the air, obviously agitated.

"You go on with Elfhelm and Théoden," Gamling called over to …omer. "Something is wrong." He saw …omer shrug and turn back, helmet plume flying in the wind. Dréogan was now earnestly ignoring his commands, something his well-trained destrier did not do when he was armored in battle gear.

*** In fact, only one other time had he behaved thus and it had not been more than a week before...***

"All right, you!" Gamling leaned over and whispered in his ear, ignoring the passing Riders. "Go find her!"

Dréogan immediately surged forward, nose out, neighing softly, calling, his Rider equally searching for the familiar dapple grey.

***

Aefre saw him first, threading his way, scanning the passing Riders as they filed past him. She saw him nod, acknowledge those that dipped to his rank. She knew it would only be a matter of time before she was caught. "Dernhelm." …owyn and Merry both glanced over. "Fight hard. Move away." Aefre moved to the left, away from the twosome, and the last she saw of the Shield Maiden and Hobbit were two sets of frightened eyes as Hengist moved to the right, …owyn finally seeing Gamling making his way doggedly towards Aefre.

***dammnitdammitwitchywomanhothotdammit how dare she follow going to put her over my knee and beat her and...***

Gamling finally saw her threading away, saw Adenydd's winged markings, a dark haired Rider attempting to put horses and men between them. Dréogan was having none of that and neither was Gamling. No one near them could tell which was louder - Dréogan neighing or Gamling growling angrily. Riders went around, moved aside as the well-respected Marshal pushed and picked his way through and angled up next to the Rider on the grey mare.

"Either stop or hand me your reins."

Aefre moved away from him.

Dréogan still wasn't having any of that. Neither was Adenydd.

Gamling purposely moved up again, reaching over and grabbing her reins. "Stop. Now." It was hissed, whispered and Aefre could tell she had pushed her limit as far as it would go. She could feel the fury emanating from him. They waited several minutes while the others moved around them, many giving her glances of pity, sympathy. Gamling's reputation as a just, but harsh taskmaster was well known and well-earned. Whatever the Rider on the Dapple had done, well, he earned it and was in for a difficult time of it. No one would rescue him from it.

The last Rider was now past.

"Remove your helm."

"Why?" She tried to lower and gruff her voice.

***Béma! She's going to try to bluff me. ME! Damned difficult stupid dammit woman going to war Béma help us all...***

Dréogan was nuzzling Adenydd affectionately, the two of them oblivious to the war brewing on their backs.

"Remove. Your. Helm."

"Why?"

"I gave you an order-"

"And I asked you a question. What have I done to garner your ire?"

***ooooh she's good! Béma's Balls... careful... careful... she is going to keep me busybusybusy when I return...calm down... deep breath...careful... you are the Rider... you are the Marshal...***

"I know this mare and I know the Shield Madam who owns her." Gamling's voice was soft, dangerous. "She would not loan her out for such a journey. Therefore, you either stole her - which I will gladly hang you for, immediately, or you are she."

"And if I am she?"

"Stop bandying words with me, Aefre! Remove your helm now!"

Slowly, she removed her helmet, shaking out her-

***glorious, long thickrun my fingers through her mane softsoftsoft... dammit! Dammit!foolish...***

- hair

"Now what?"

***Now what? Glory to...Béma preserve us!...***

When he finally spoke, it felt to Aefre as if the ground beneath Adenydd's hooves trembled.

"When I finish with you, you will not be able to sit your horse for a month. Do you have any idea how much trouble you have just caused?"

tbc