RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Rider of the Mark 04


On a wing and some kind of prayer.


***

Gamling wove through the milling throng of people; women and children, the occasional Rider who nodded in deference. As he made his way to the stables, his mind whirled with snippets of conversation concerning Aefre.

Too soon, he strode through the doors into the well-kept stable. Dréogan had his head over the gate, nuzzling the grey dappled mare in the stall next to him.

"Well, you're a pretty thing." He reached over to scratch her soft muzzle. She allowed the petting to continue for a few moments before tossing her head and prancing to the back of her stall, looking at him over her shoulder. "Sassy too." Haughtily, she tossed her head, successfully turning her back on him. As her ebony tail swished, he noticed an unusual black marking across her rump...

***a wing?***

Gamling looked at his stallion.

Dréogan was... glaring?

You interrupted!

Gamling grabbed the saddle pad and saddle, slinging them over and on the stall door.

"Forget it! I'm not getting any; why should you?" He tossed him an apple from his pouch, which the beast nimbly grabbed from the air. In short time, he had the animal saddled and bridled, and with the effortless ease of one raised on horseback, Gamling swung up and made his way through the city gates and into open fields.

There was something about the wind; freedom, a sense of escape, even if only for a short time. He pulled up on Dréogan, sniffing the wind, searching for anything out of line.

Nothing.

Good.

A small mound of rocks lay in the distance. Gamling pointed the warhorse in that direction and gave him a nudge. Dréogan took off, nose out. Muscles bunched and tucked, only to stretch as Dréogan's stride lengthened, and anyone watching would have been overwhelmed at the oneness of horse and rider, the graceful movement and the unspoken communication between the two.

Wind riffled through the long locks of both horse and rider.

He should have brought his helmet, but truth was, he hated the thing. It stifled him, made it difficult to breathe. It made him sweat and his nose itch. So far, he had been lucky. Someday, he knew he wouldn't be.

As they neared the rock pile, Gamling's mind returned to the problem he had been mulling over for a little time.

Her.

Such a contradiction from what he had wrongly assumed.

No simple serving wench, not someone to dally with.

A capable chatelaine... widowed... not only ran but governed a Hall for four years. Alone. Had married for love.

A lady.

No.

A Lady.

***Big difference, Gamling. One raised in graciousness and one who was used to the niceties in life, certainly not what a career soldier could possibly hope for. What could he possibly offer
her?***


Safety.

He pulled up short.

***Where in Béma's name had THAT come from?***

Slowly, Dréogan made his way to the top of a small hillock. Surveying the land beneath him, Gamling leaned on his saddle.

She was saucy; he would give her that. She was woefully independent, probably wouldn't be one to take orders or obey a husband's wishes. No doubt, she had had her husband wrapped so tightly around her finger, all she had to do was crook it and watch him dance like a stringed puppet.

Well, there was one thing Gamling did not do and that was dance!

Béma!

Why was he even thinking of her? Romance! Bah! The last thing he had time for was the wooing of a woman, especially one with an unbearably high opinion of herself! He turned Dréogan to look back at Edoras. To him, it was the most beautiful sight, rising over the open field, like a guidepost... a ray of light.

He had never seen the cities of Gondor, of Belfalas. He had heard stories of the White City - Minas Tirith; its seven levels, rising over Pelennor Fields. The women of Belfalas were rumored to be uncommonly beautiful and exotic.

Much like rich food.

No. Too much rich food made one slow, ponderous. If he ever married, it would be to someone sturdy, someone...

Had anyone walked up on Rider and Horse, they would have wondered why the Man shook his head as if to fling water from the roots of his hair.

***no no no no no no!***

Why had her husband's kin waited so long to claim the manor? Rohan was not so big that it would take so long for a man to discover he owned land and hearth.

Gamling's hand clenched tightly, unconsciously pulling on the reins and causing Dréogan to look at him askance. Why had the man threatened her? That was sheer stupidity. All knew running the day - to - day affairs of a Hall was a woman's work.

Someone should find out. Someone should...

Bah!

There was only one way to cease this train of thought.

He stared hard at the tent city dotting the hillside outside the city walls.

***The Lost. The Homeless.***

Théoden worried greatly about that lot.

He had reason to.

After an hour or two of riding in circles around Edoras, he and Dréogan made their way back to the Golden Hall.

***

Aefre was in a sweat. For several hours, she and Willan, along with the aid of two other serving women, slaved clearing out the room to be Gamling's. They removed the heavy drapes, took down the smoke- stinking tapestries. They were so filthy, that one could not see the stitchery on them.

Disgusting!

The rugs were taken up and were now hanging on a line out back, being beaten by two large women. The clothing left had been sent to the laundry, to be given to the needy. Aefre had told the girl removing them to wash them in lye soap at least five times. Willan removed the offending pots from the antechamber and Aefre found a large tub that wasn't too badly battered, to be brought up later. The mattress on the bed was gone; it too, would find a new home somewhere else, once it had been cleaned and restuffed with new feathers. Aefre spoke with Eowyn and between the two women, they found a feather mattress in an unused room. All of Grima's belongings were removed.

Only one thing left.

Aefre knew that there were those who might think what she did would be strange, but the old ways had been taught to her by her formidable grandmother. The room reeked of old sweat and smells she did not want to consider. Gamling was a pain in her arse, but he deserved better than the leavings of an evil being.

This had been *his* room. Evil would still lurk in any crevice where it could get a toe - hold. Gamling was Théoden's most trusted advisor; someone the King would go as far as to consider a good friend. In no way could she allow the festering stench of Grima to impose itself on the King's most trusted companion.

"Pah! This room stinks of Wormtongue stench!" She sent the two girls to the kitchens for lunch and Willan out to oversee the beating of the rugs. She then went to the storerooms to retrieve necessary items. She came back with a broom and a small bowl of clean water, along with an herb sack.

She ran into Gamling on her way back to the rooms.

Damn the man. He looked wind-blown, hale, and pink cheeked from riding as fast as his poor, unfortunate steed would take him.

In a strange way, he reminded her of her husband.

Béma! Where at that thought come from? Her husband had made her feel safe. This one irritated her with his methodical ways and knowing stare. She stepped backwards, trying to steady her thoughts, to move out of his way. She didn't realize she was clutching her items to her. She was vaguely aware of his hands reaching out.

"Allow me." Somewhere, someone had taught the brute courtly manners, as he gently took her burden from her. " I assume you are taking these to my room?"

"Yes." Strange. Her voice sounded far away.

Gamling cocked an eyebrow before turning and heading towards his room.

With her things.

Getting a grip on her emotions, she ran after him. "Please, you do not need to carry those-"

Gamling stopped and looked down at her, the difference in their heights suddenly apparent.

"I am afraid I offended you this morning, my Lady." It was carefully said, but Aefre could sense the steel underlying the words. "Allow me to assist you." He started to turn back towards his room.

"Nay, nay. This is a servant's work. Don't worry yourself over mundane..."

"But it is *my* room," he shrugged rather elegantly. "I wish to assist you. And you," he seemed to be reminding her, "are no servant." He turned again towards his rooms and strode off rather quickly, causing Aefre to almost run in order to keep up.

***Insufferable man!***

He strode through the doors, carrying her things to the table and setting them down. With large hands, he began to rummage through the items.

"What is all this?"

The scowl he was becoming so familiar with flashed at him, her hands smacking at his. "Thank you. You may leave."

"No."

She continued to smack at him, slight stinging designed not to hurt, but simply to get his attention.

***Well, she has my attention. Why does she want me gone?***

He smacked her back and slid the items further from her. He picked up the obvious.

"A broom."

*** If looks could kill, Dréogan would be Riderless...***

She reached for it, but he was in a teasing mood. Twisting it sideways, he held it up over his head, out of her reach. "There is not enough water in that bowl to clean the floors."

"I am not going to clean the floors with that!" She now sounded completely exasperated. "Are you going to leave or not?"

The man had an evil, mischievous smile that made him look younger. "You wish me gone?"

"Yes, yes! I wish you gone! I have things to do and you are in my way." She shooed at him. "Put down my broom and begone! Here!" She picked up an apple from the bowl Willan had left earlier. "Take this to your over-taxed horse."

The smile never faded; in fact, the obnoxious fiend only grinned even more. "Oh, I believe I have mucked out a stall or two in my lifetime. I don't think cleaning a room would be much different." He two-handed the broom to the floor, his grip firmly on the handle. "Which corner should I start with?"

He was not going to leave. Aefre's mind whirled. Fine. So be it.

He returned his attention to the sack on the table, and was rummaging through it, leaving her standing with her hand still wrapped around the apple. "Sticks?" He pulled out smaller sacks. "Is this salt?... Sand?... I'm impressed! You are bringing the barn to me!"

Aefre narrowed her eyes.

***odious jack ass! ***

***She is so much fun to bait. Firefirefirehothothot!***


"Do you really mean to stay?"

Gamling shrugged. "Aye. I have nothing better to do." He gestured to the room. "Where would you have me start?"

"I would have you gone!"

"So sorry, My Lady." If anything, the grip on the broom handle became firmer.

Aefre finally sighed. Fine. So be it. She started to point him to the door frame, but then decided he should be a part of the ritual. After all, he asked for this. "Stand in front of the door. About two or three steps forward." A single finger shot up in his face, causing him to jerk up and slightly back. "Do not interrupt to ask questions. Once I begin, I cannot stop." She turned and returned to the center of the room. "Whatever questions you have will have to wait." She snorted inelegantly. "I do need the broom, however. If you like, I will give it back when I'm done." Again, she handed him the apple.

Gamling finally took the offered fruit. Rather than relinquish the broom, he propped himself on it and proceeded to munch on the apple.

"Must you be so loud?"

"I'll try to chew more quietly," he acquiesced, before taking another bite.

Aefre rolled her eyes. Béma save her from men! His grip had loosened and before he could figure out what she was doing, she snatched the broom from his grasp, leaving him staggering for balance.

"Wha-"

"I'll give it back!" Looking through the window at the direction of the sun, Aefre went to the easternmost corner and began to sweep around the outer edge of the room in a clockwise direction.

"You're missing the middle."

Aefre said nothing, but her glare all but screamed for his silence. She completed the circle of the room making sure he was inside the circle, and as promised, handed the broom back to the disbelieving Horse Lord.

She returned to the center of the room.

She breathed deeply, cleansing breaths and dropped her head. For several minutes the only sound heard was the soft cacophony of life coming from outside the window. When she raised her head, he could not even see the rise and fall of her breath, it was so shallow. She turned to face the back of the room...

"I call to the Guardian of the East," she clapped her hands together once. She turned to the right. "I call to the Guardian of the South." She clapped again. She repeated her call to the West, then to the North, before lowering her hands and stepping to the table. Setting the bundle of sand to the side, she took the small bundle of salt, she dipped her fingers in, scooping a good pinch into the small bowl of water. She then reached across the table and bunching them neatly, she bundled the twigs, tying them together with twine pulled from her pocket. She set them down next to the sand, before picking up the salted water.

Stepping back to the middle of the room, she faced East and dipped her fingers in the water. She flung gently, splattering the floor with water droplets. "Guardian of the East, cleanse this room and make it pure." She turned, facing South, again sprinkling salted water. "Guardian of the South, cleanse this room and remove the stench of the minion who resided here before." Turn. Dip. Sprinkle. "Guardian of the West, cleanse this room and remove the lingerings of Saruman." Turn. Dip. Sprinkle. "Guardian of the North, cleanse this room and remove all that would bode ill here."

She then sprinkled water all around herself, saying, "Guardians all, purify this place, let Air and Fire, Earth and Water cleanse it!" She turned the bowl upside down; it was empty.

Gamling watched, hand and apple at his mouth; fascinated at the ritual. Aefre returned to the table and set down the empty bowl. She picked up the bag of sand and dumped it into the bowl and then picked up the twig bundle. She moved to the fireplace, where a low fire was burning and thrust the twigs in, catching the ends on fire. She removed them and blew until the flames subsided; smoke and glowing embers all that remained. Gamling caught the scent of herbs; sage, thyme, others. She returned to the center of the room and was again facing East. She moved in a circle, clockwise. Her words were softly spoken and he had to lean to hear what she said.

"... the Air; with this smoke, I cleanse the Fire, with this smoke, I cleanse the Earth; with this smoke, I cleanse the Water." She completed the circle and stood still. "With this smoke, I cleanse myself." She waved the bundle of smoking herbs all around herself. She turned and approached Gamling, who froze. She waved the herbs all around him: "With this smoke, I cleanse this man." Then, she extinguished the burning herbs into the bowl of sand. She stood still, looking into some far distance. Then, she raised her arms over her head, made obeisance to the four directions, walked once counter - clockwise around the room, and shook herself as if she was coming out of sleep.

She dusted her hands, knocking small bits of herb, salt and sand to the floor. " There. It's done," she said briskly. "I can get this room cleaned up now." Catching the Horse Lord off guard, she snatched the broom from him and leaned it against the hearth. "You wanted to help? You may help then. Go to the yards and aid Willan in bringing clean rugs and furs for the floor. I'm afraid," and with this she turned, to peruse the wooden walls, "that your walls will be bare until I can find something suitable for them or make something for you to hang. I will bring something to go over the window at night." She made to step around him, leaving him stunned in the middle of the floor. "Well, at the very least, you will sleep in a bed tonight." She shook her finger at him. "A real bed! Why tarry you?" She shooed him, herding him to the door. "Those rugs are not going to walk up by themselves. Go!"

***funny strange little witch***

Gamling stepped back and made a rather courtly bow. "You first, My Lady."

Aefre scowled and stepped around him, and found herself having to side step …omer. She looked back over her shoulder. The stress on ‘My' was obvious and pointed. "Don't call me that!" She stepped around Théoden's heir with a withering glance and moved around him.

…omer grinned like a puppy at her retreating figure. He leaned against the doorframe, with his arms crossed.

"Cleanse this man? Didn't you take a bath last evening?"

Gamling strode across the room. "Don't you know a woman's magic when you see it? It was important to her. Leave it be."

"She has nice hips."

Gamling's head was thrust through the doorway, to see said nice hips sway down the hallway.

***very nice... fit the ha-***

"In fact, they would fit one's hands just right." Gamling turned to see …omer using his hands to gauge the span of her hips.

"I know what you're up to." It was said so quietly, …omer almost missed it.

"What I am up to?" He actually sounded slightly confused. "What would I be up to?"

"Don't think I do not I remember yours and Eowyn's match-making from three winters past." He straightened up and proceeded to leave the room, heading for the back yards. "The two of you made their lives miserable and ours to boot!"

"Claénnis and Elne are very happy now. You could use a good woman in your life, Gamling."

"I have a horse. I have all I need."

"But still. Wouldn't you want someone to warm your bed on a cold night? I mean, that's a big bed in your new room and surely, you'll be lonely..."

…omer felt his nose grabbed by a tight grip. "Perhaps, youngling, you would like the bed. Maybe it would lure YOU a nice Princess?"

"Gambing. Turb looz ub muh dooz..."

…omer's nose was released and he rubbed it grudgingly. "There was no need-"

"I have no need of a wide bed to pleasure a wench or to keep me warm. My bedroll or my cloak has always been enough to suffice." He turned to head down the hallway again. He made it two or three steps before firing over his shoulder, "Standing up as well!"

…omer watched his uncle's and his own friend stalk out of sight, continuing to rub his injured nose. "That's it! You deserve her!" And with a final rub, he turned to find his sister.

***
tbc
***