RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Title: Through the Ages
Author: Mawgy
Beta: Naresha (Thanks Darling!) (Also thanks to Keiless, for the first few chapters)
Dedicated to my Boney Arse *winks* *sheep*
Rated: PG (for bullying themes) (will eventually be NC-17)
Genre: Ansgt
Warnings: Bullying. Rape and humiliation in later chapters.
Pairing: (eventually) Erestor/Glorfindel
Summary: This story follows the somewhat sordid lives of Erestor and Glorfindel from their childhood in Gondolin to re-acquaintance in Imladris, where Glorfindel is a Lord and has power over everything and everyone, and Erestor, a lowly peasant.
Disclaimer: I own nothing and am making no money from this story… I just like to play with other people’s toys. :D
A/N: As far as age goes, I believe Elves age at half the rate of humans, so while Erestor is 20 in this chapter, he looks like a 10 year old.




Prologue

The school system in Gondolin was unfair. He knew this. All the educators did. As did the Lords. Though no one did anything about it. Peasants were taught their two years of Beginners class. Few were able to afford a year of Intermediates and less still made it to the last two years. Thus it was laughable for any peasants to reach Expert standards, let alone the Master stage.

In the lower levels of the city they were taught in large classrooms filled copiously to overflowing. Shoddy equipment, few materials, funding was a joke; the tutors were driven mad with the amount of children and the few supplies they had. Student to apparatus quotient was three to one. No one could work in such appalling circumstances.

Well, almost no one. The students, despite everything, were remarkable. They knew education was a luxury their parents never had, and that their own wouldn’t last long, so they made the best of it. Never complained. Did their work on time. Got wonderful marks and received praise from everyone.

But never a reward. Not more funding. Not more supplies. Not more teachers or classrooms. More students, certainly. But nothing that would better their situation.

The children of the King, Lords and Ladies, and other high ranked officials however, were an entirely different issue. They had the best classrooms money could buy, more experienced teachers with greater knowledge and were given new equipment and supplies almost every year. And with Lords able to take a teacher’s small position of power away in a heartbeat, all students were passed, even if they deserved to fail. And, of course, all successfully passed Master level so they could follow in their parent’s footsteps.

Tamarin, educator of first year Intermediate teachings, despaired at his barely half-filled classroom. The brats that were taught here were no more interested in learning than they were in dirt. Arrogant, wilful, prejudiced and powerful. These children showed no one respect yet demanded it with their very presence.

The classroom itself was large and could seat just over forty pupils. However, in recent years Elf reproduction habits had dwindled in the time of peace they now experienced, and as such, barely half of the seats were filled. Fourteen boys, seven girls… and Erestor.

When Tamarin first heard of the proposal his heart swelled at the thought of teaching a student who really wanted to learn, most being there only because they had no choice. Tamarin had been expressly told not to show favouritism, not to help the boy any more than he would the other students, and not to let him pass the year without the necessary credit behind it. But, damnit, Tamarin was going to pass Erestor, even if it were to cost him his position as an educator. If he could help just one student reach their potential, then he would go to any lengths possible and necessary to do so.

He agreed to take on the student from the peasants first year Beginner’s class.

King Turgon had been made aware of the ingenious little boy a few weeks ago when every teacher gave their monthly reports to the Lords. Kamir mentioned a bright, intelligent lad in his class. ‘The most promising and gifted student I have ever seen,’ Kamir said. Turgon had deliberated long and hard, but had eventually agreed to advance Erestor to first year Intermediate. Kamir was pleased with the result, but pushed for Erestor to be allowed to learn with the children of privileged families so that he would attain an education deserving of his mental abilities, and later hopefully, a place in the Royal Court as Councillor.

Needless to say, the Lords and Ladies of Gondolin did not like the idea of a commoner attending school with their children. They argued day and night, threatening to take their children out of school should their King bow to a simple teacher’s wishes.

Turgon, however, saw the potential the boy showed in his schoolwork, and thought that if his gift was nurtured properly, he would be a great asset to Gondolin.

The other Lords grudgingly agreed, unable to find a single fault in the young one’s work, but still not liking the situation one bit.

And so Tamarin waited. Second term was about to begin and he was eager to start this unique individual’s education.

~*~*~*~*~

“I am *so* proud of you, Erestor,” Earane said, smiling through glistening tears as he looked upon his only child. Overcome with happiness, he swooped down and crushed the young one to him in a fierce hug. “Of course, I have always been proud of you, but today I can see a long and happy future laid out for you. You shall go far if you keep your head down, study hard and do well at this school,” he said as he withdrew from the embrace, but kept his hands on his son’s upper arms.

“Now, be good, don’t disrupt the other students and be sure to do your best. That’s all anyone can hope for, and there is no shame in admitting that something is beyond you. Be sure to ask the teacher for help. Unlike your previous school, there are not nearly as many students, and so Master Tamarin will be able to help you should you need it, all right? Stick to that, and you won’t end up like your old Elf here,” Earane half-joked.

“Adar, there is nothing wrong with what you do. If it were not for you, many would not own the exquisite jewellery they do, and we would have nothing to eat,” Erestor replied knowingly, wanting to show his father how much he appreciated all the sacrifices Earane had made for him over the years.

“But you have a chance to rise above your station, Erestor. You can become more than you ever could be should you stay here. Few have ever had this chance. I cannot afford to send you to school beyond next year and now King Turgon will be paying for your entire education. Now, I do not wish to put pressure on you, especially at such a young age, just… just do your best, alright?”

“Alright,” Erestor responded and hugged his father.

“You have your lunch?”

“Yes,” Erestor held up his food.

“You have enough ink, books and quills?”

“Yes, yes and yes.”

“You have read all the books given to you to bring you up to date on what the other students have learnt over the past two years and first semester?”

“Yes.”

“Well then, I suppose we should get moving. You do not wish to be late on your first day, do you?” Earane’s eyes took on a wistful look. “Your mother would be so pleased if she were here today.”

“I know, Adar. But do not fret, you are showing more than enough emotion to make up for her today,” Erestor spoke with a smug smile, barely able to keep the laughter out of his voice.

“Oi! Little scamp!” Earane tickled Erestor’s stomach. “Alright, let us be off.”

Taking Erestor’s hand, Earane left their abode; a small 5-room house built onto the back of his workshop that was on the lower levels of the city and within the House of the Golden Flower. Together they walked up towards the House Palace, but veered off before reaching it. They crossed a park the students would obviously later use for exercise and stopped outside the only building in sight. Frowning slightly, Earane failed to see how all the students at every level of education could fit in this one room and hoped he was at the right place.

Walking cautiously up the few steps, he knocked on the open door to the classroom.

Tamarin looked up from his lesson plan and smiled. “Welcome. You must be Earane,” he walked out from behind his desk and towards the waiting pair. “And you, of course, are Erestor. I hope you enjoy your time here, but that you also learn many things this year.”

“Thankyou sir,” Erestor said a little timidly.

“Ah, Master Tamarin, I presume?” Earane asked uncertainly.

“Sorry, how rude of me. Yes, I am Tamarin.”

“Do all the students come here?” Earane asked, not being able to help himself.

Tamarin merely laughed. “Only those of first year Intermediate. There is generally one classroom in each of the houses, one for every level of education.”

“Oh,” Earane answered dumbly.

“Well, I shall leave you to say your farewells. I will be at my desk when you are ready, Erestor,” Tamarin said after a few awkward moments passed.

“Just remember, these are the sons and daughters of very powerful people. Try not to offend them, not that I think you will. But, be careful none-the-less. Again, be good, work hard and you shall go far, my son,” Earane whispered, then hugged Erestor once more before turning to leave.

Erestor slowly made his way to Tamarin’s desk, taking in as much of the classroom as possible, marvelling at its size and cleanliness. Eventually he came before the teacher’s desk and remained silent, waiting to be acknowledged.

“I have seen all your previous work. Wonderful! Simply superb from one so young,” Tamarin smiled gently, taking in the form of the twenty-year old. “I hope your marks do not fall now that you are in the more serious areas of your education.”

“I shall endeavour to achieve my highest possible grades, sir.”

Tamarin looked in mild amusement at the young one’s choice of words. None of his other students had ever spoken in such a distinguished manner. “Excellent. Well, why don’t we wait for the other students to arrive, and then we can begin the lessons. However, during the time, perhaps it would be prudent for you to choose a desk? I have only twenty-one students… twenty-two now that you shall be joining us. From memory, I believe no one has claimed any of the first row of desks, if you like being so close to the teacher, that is.”

Erestor put his bag down on a desk, noting soot from his father’s workshop fall from the sack as he did so. Worried as to his own appearance, Erestor brushed himself off, the black powder falling from his clothes as well, despite them being his best and washed especially for this day.

He did not have long to dwell on this, however, as moments later the first of the other students began to arrive.

Tamarin smiled as he noticed others entering the room and looked up from his notes, but his face fell at what he saw. This was obviously a ruse all the parents were in on to make Erestor feel inadequate. Every single one of his other students had their hair braided elaborately, indicating their rank and importance. And their clothes were more appropriate to be worn to a feast and hardly suitable for school. Tamarin was disappointed that his students could be so cruel and knew that Erestor had a long, hard struggle ahead of him before he would be accepted. If ever it happened at all.

“As you are all aware, we have a new student among us,” Tamarin said as he stood to address the now fully assembled class and gestured for Erestor to come and stand out the front for all the other students to see him. “I hope you make him feel welcome. This… is Erestor.”

Everyone took in his appearance and haughtily stuck their nose up at him.

~This is going to be a long year,~ Tamarin thought despairingly.



TBC