RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
First: thank you Neumeindil for helping me with this story in such short notice.

I wrote this short story for Elfnut/Maram. She really loves stories about …owyn and Faramir, as soon as the oppurtinity arose, I dusted off this bunny to write it for her. Thank you for being such a wonderful friend and encouraging me to post it here on OSA.

Quenya used:
Ma yanna nómë lendelyë?
Where did you go?

Sinómë eanye, mal nwalca Ambar ciltane nye lyello
Here I am, but the cruel world separated me from you.

I can imagine that this Rhapsy!verse bunny might surprise readers. Tolkien explained in his letters that the knowledge Faramir has of Númenor mainly comes to him by means of dreams:

From the Letters of Tolkien (163 To W. H. Auden):

I say this about the 'heart', for I have what some might call an Atlantis complex. Possibly inherited, though my parents died too young for me to know such things about them, and too young to transfer such things by words. Inherited from me (I suppose) by one only of my children, though I did not know that about my son until recently, and he did not know it about me. I mean the terrible recurrent dream (beginning with memory) of the Great Wave, towering up, and coming in ineluctably over the trees and green fields. (I bequeathed it to Faramir.) I don't think I have had it since I wrote the 'Downfall of Númenor' as the last of the legends of the First and Second Age.

Tolkien mentions it again in letter 180 To 'Mr Thompson' [draft]

Out ofthat came the 'missing link': the 'Downfall of Númenor', releasing some hidden 'complex'. For when Faramir speaks of his private vision of the Great Wave, he speaks for me. That vision and dream has been ever with me — and has been inherited (as I only discovered recently) by one of my children.

I started to wonder what the connection to …owyn was since in a scene from The Steward and the King from Return of the King, this happens:

‘It reminds me of Númenor,’ said Faramir, and wondered to hear himself speak.
‘Of Númenor?’ said …owyn.
‘Yes,’ said Faramir, ‘of the land of Westernesse that foundered and of the great dark wave climbing over the green lands and above the hills, and coming on, darkness unescapable. I often dream of it.’
‘Then you think that the Darkness is coming?’ said …owyn. ‘Darkness Unescapable?’ And suddenly she drew close to him.
‘No,’ said Faramir, looking into her face. ‘It was but a picture in the mind. I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. …owyn, …owyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!’ And he stooped and kissed her brow."


This left me wondering why a) …owyn accepts this, b) how does she know how it will look like that it scares her so much. Thusly a Rhapsy!verse bunny surfaced, combined with this piece from The Letters of Tolkien:

244 From a draft to a reader of The Lord of the Ring
Criticism of the speed of the relationship or 'love' of Faramir and Eowyn. In my experience feelings and decisions ripen very quickly (as measured by mere 'clock-time', which is actually not justly applicable) in periods of great stress, and especially under the expectation of imminent death. And I do not think that persons of high estate and breeding need all the petty fencing and approaches in matters of 'love'. This tale does not deal with a period of 'Courtly Love' and its pretences; but with a culture more primitive (sc. less corrupt) and nobler.

I have taken the liberty to create a connection between them, which primarily manifests when Faramir dreams or remembers Númenor, but …owyn has the same, but is not versed enough to place it. Both are from Númenorean lineage and as Tolkien explained this in his letters: it will be passed onto generations. In my Rhapsy!verse, it will end with the two of them: both finding each other in this time and finally being able to claim the love in how it was meant to be.