RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Title: A Song in a Song
Author: Hare (harefic@yahoo.com)
Type: FCS
Characters: Lindir, Elladan, Elrohir, Erestor/Glorfindel
Rating: PG-13 mainly, R rarely.
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters found in this story nor was I creative enough to invent their world. I make no profit except in joy.
Timeline: Early Third Age
Warnings: Slash – some angst, some fluff, some romance. Not a songfic but a new genera Erfan and I call bum-fluff wherein a character lusts for another’s bum but the reader gets only fluff.
Beta: Weeping Naiad – a friend AND a scholar. Thank you, my dear.
Entry: 2008 Glorestor Challenge
Dedicated: To Patricia “slayer9649”, rescuer of orphans.
Author’s Note: A huge thank you to the “Tale Spinners”, Ezimachia and Svengalliedhare, for unwavering support and advice. Svengalliedhare, with whom I proudly share 25% of my genes, wrote all the songs in this story with edits by me. ***Except for the first and last sections this entire story is from Erestor’s POV.

Chapter 5

Lazily he woke and blinked against the light streaming into the room. He was alone and grateful. Unsure how he would have dealt with Glorfindel and Little Erestor in the light of day, he now had time to gather his thoughts. He walked to the window and peeked out. Anor was past its zenith. Erestor knew he had slept well past mid-morning and considering the events of the prior day he was amazed at how utterly refreshed and peaceful he felt. If sleeping with Glorfindel had produced these results he would willingly do it more often.

Curiosity caused him to pause in his dressing, and he took the opportunity to search for Little Erestor’s discarded hair. The elfling had managed to cut off his beautiful locks yet there were no traces of its existence. After several minutes of hunting he gave up, quickly donned a loose tunic and leggings, and retrieved his knife. He would leave no more temptations. Exiting, he strode down the hall and entered Glorfindel’s quarters, where he deposited the knife in a trunk. He would later tell him of its presence.

The enticing aroma of bread and sweets reminded Erestor of the day. Today, the kitchen staff would be busy baking goods for the week and every baking day found Glorfindel hounding Cook for anything fresh from the oven. This was his weekly routine and he never varied from it unless he was away on border patrol. Knowing this, Erestor finished his search for Glorfindel and Little Erestor in the kitchens. Cook looked at him only long enough to point her big spoon to the eating nook tucked at the back of the room.

Erestor halted in his quest once he spied the four elflings three small, one very large squeezed around the tiny table. Three had long glorious locks; two dark, one blond, the fourth was completely bald. Glorfindel must have shorn off the rest of Little Erestor’s hair, for now his scalp was smooth and shiny though the cuts still shone a brilliant red.

Amazed, Erestor took in the scene. All was apparently forgiven between Elladan and Little Erestor as they sat cheek to cheek. Only time would tell how things stood between them. There was no talking as the four ate their thick slices of heavy cake covered with a layer of jam and pushed it down with large gulps of milk. But Erestor could feel the tension radiating from them and was amused by the three sets of short legs swinging excitedly under the table. He took in his fill of Glorfindel whose casual intimacy and graceful presence had tended yesterday’s wounds for both him and Little Erestor.

His presence was finally noticed when Elrohir squealed his name before turning to his companions and shouting in exasperation, “He is finally awake!”

“We can go now, Glorfindel!” screamed Elladan as bits of cake flew from his mouth, and he jumped from the bench. But quickly he sat when Glorfindel’s scowl found him.

“Guess what, Erestor? Even Little Erestor has agreed to come to the river for a swim!”

Little Erestor looked at him with wide solemn eyes, mouth bulging, jam coating his lips, and vigorously nodded his head in agreement.

Eyebrow raised in question, Erestor turned to the largest elfling, “Glorfindel?”

Glorfindel regarded him blandly before he winked and waved his cake-filled hand in greeting. “True. All of it. You had best eat now while we saddle the horses. Our elflings have been impatiently waiting for you to wake and they are quite ready. I believe if we delay much longer no elf in Imladris will be happy for these three have tested the patience of all whom they have encountered.”

Stuffing a last bite of cake into his mouth, Glorfindel grabbed several slices, and tucked a jar of preserves in the crook of his elbow, before noisily pushing his chair away from the table and rising. Elladan, Elrohir, and Little Erestor quickly stood and, at a nod from Glorfindel, raced away. Glorfindel sauntered along behind.

After gulping down a late lunch, Erestor headed for the stables and immediately heard his friend’s raised voice directing all activity. He never seemed as content as when he was ordering someone around. Upon entering, he was not surprised to see that preparations were complete and the three elflings sat upon their colts who danced nervously under their excited burdens. Glorfindel stood beside a dappled mare which he had readied for Erestor. Green apple held before him, he moved to the head of the horse and offered his bribe, along with whispers of more treats to come. Erestor was an able horseman, yet so rarely rode he felt it wise to increase the likelihood of an agreeable ride. Once the gift was accepted and being happily munched, Erestor impatiently moved Glorfindel aside, threw him a foul glare, and climbed upon the mare. He was perfectly capable of mounting a horse without assistance even though Glorfindel seemed to forget this quite often.

The horses stepped lively as they left the Last Homely House, and Glorfindel called for them to allow their steeds full rein as they galloped to the swimming area. Erestor remembered his surprise when he first took Little Erestor for training in managing a horse. He had thought to gradually introduce him to the creatures, but on their first day at the riding circle, Little Erestor had jumped onto a spirited yearling and deftly handled her around the enclosure. The stable master had watched and guided for only a short while before returning to his duties, leaving Erestor to wonder. His small charge had so obviously been well cared for and schooled in many subjects yet they could still find no one who knew his family. Now Erestor gazed upon the lithe form of Little Erestor confidently perched on the back of his colt. His bald head reflected the rays of Anor, his face a mask of concentration with a hint of satisfaction. Riding was one of his favorite activities but was reserved for those days when the child behaved and gave him no cause for reprimands.

They crossed the land swiftly, slowing to a walk when they navigated woods and stopping occasionally to allow their mounts a drink from the Bruinen, then loosing their reins again in the more open fields. Emerging from a final copse of trees, bright winged butterflies fluttered before them as they entered the meadow which surrounded the small pond they sought. The sight inspired the elflings into peals of laughter, and they spurred their mounts into action racing around and around the grassland. This area of Imladris was remote and seldom used by any of the other inhabitants thus affording a rare opportunity for them to let loose their unruly side without disturbing other elves. Still, Glorfindel shot after them, yelling and looking with dismay at the trampled wildflowers left in their path.

Erestor continued to move forward toward the water, and soon his traveling companions were back on task and joined him. Their excited chatter mixed with the sounds of bird calls and the shuffle of animals in the tall grasses. Ringing the meadow were trees, stately and fully-leaved, that swayed in the gentle wind while the meadow plants birthed floating seeds and winged insects with each breeze. Creatures, legged or not, moved or slithered into the water at their approach. His mare pranced, snorted, and threw her head but quieted once they reached a craggy outcropping near the pond.

Rocks lined the banks of the pool as it had once been a tributary of the Bruinen. But over time, the large river had moved and cleaved new paths through the earth, creating a considerable number of lakes. This moderately sized pond was ideal as the weathered stones made perfect ledges for perching in the sun or jumping off into the water. One side had a natural slope allowing easy access that began ankle deep and progressed to a depth no more than to the chest of an adult.

The twins jumped down and eagerly started shedding their clothing. Glorfindel, as was his wont, shouted once more.

“Elladan! Elrohir!”

They stopped immediately and, knowing their mistake, turned to care for their horses. Little Erestor dismounted more slowly, his gait hesitant as he eyed the water warily. His previous keen agreement to this venture was not now evident. Still he followed the twins and removed the bridle and saddle before brushing down his colt. Once finished, the three turned to Glorfindel, silently awaiting his leave to move to the pool. Elladan danced with impatience and Elrohir seemed interested in a newly found shiny pebble but continued to eye Glorfindel for release. Little Erestor stood frozen with trepidation. Glorfindel inspected the horses, running his hands over their entire bodies, and when satisfied he liberated them to roam the field before nodding his head.

In a flash, Elladan and Elrohir stripped and ran for the pool. With a loud whoop of joy, the two hurtled themselves off the highest rock. Up they came, sputtering and laughing, and started an immediate game of drown your brother. Their frenetic actions churned the pond from clear to murky. As they effortlessly skimmed across its surface, Erestor reflected that these two had always been at home in water and moved through it like otters, sleek and graceful. From an early age both were recklessly drawn to the river, and on two occasions had escaped their minders and trotted off for a swim. No mischief befell them however, for each time Glorfindel had appeared and plucked them from harm’s way. Some special Valar created bond existed between his friend and the twins, this was clear. And for his actions Glorfindel was more a hero to Lord Elrond and Lady Celebrían for these rescues than for his glorious history.

Not so joyful was Little Erestor. He seated himself hard upon the ground. His small legs wobbled furiously before giving out and Erestor was not quick enough to catch him. Instead he hurriedly sat next to the elfling and held his hand. Little Erestor shook but presented a brave face.

“There is no need to pretend, pen dithen. There is no shame in fear. You and I have spoken of this often and all we have shared has failed to rid you of this terror. Do you trust me, Little Erestor?”

“Yes,” he said with no hesitation.

“Good. Then quickly off with your clothing and join me at the water’s edge.” Erestor purposefully turned his back on the child, disrobed and stepped forward. The cloudy water lapped against his toes, soothing and warm. He held out his hand, beckoning to be joined.

Before long he felt a trembling hand slide into his and Erestor gripped it with a squeeze of comfort. He inched along until he was ankle deep. The small fist grasped his more tightly, yet there was no progressive movement. One more step and Erestor was forced to lean backwards as Little Erestor refused to budge. He tried a tiny tug and found that Little Erestor’s feet had an unshakable hold on the ground. Sighing, Erestor left the water and picked him up. Immediately Little Erestor wrapped terror strengthened arms around his neck and his legs clamped around Erestor’s waist. He felt as though his entire body was being crushed, so strong was the elfling’s clinch.

The twins, oblivious to the drama playing itself out on the shore, suddenly noticed Erestor entering the water with Little Erestor, and they surface dove over to greet them. Heedlessly they splashed as they came laughing and calling out to their friend. Little Erestor heard their disruption of the water and proceed to attempt a climb onto Erestor’s head. A small whine of terror escaped from Little Erestor’s chest, but Erestor quickly placated him with words and sternly shooed Elladan and Elrohir away.

Instead of leaving, the twins, who had not before witnessed Little Erestor’s fear of water, came closer, quietly and with sober eyes. Politely they touched him; rubbing his back and together they started singing Little Erestor’s favorite song.

“Quiet my child shed no more tears...”

The tune Little Erestor, one momentous day, had suddenly remembered his nana had taught him. He had been so proud of that singular memory and beamed as he breathlessly reminisced about it to Erestor. All other recollections of his family still mere shadows and feelings.

“For I am here to release your fears...”

As they sang to him, soft and consoling, Erestor felt the shivering cease, his grip lessened; his head rose and he turned to face the twins. Little Erestor joined them in song, and as they sang Erestor slowly moved deeper until they floated in water up to his waist.

“If there comes a time when you are lost and cannot find me...”

Elladan and Elrohir’s hands never left Little Erestor, never stopped their soothing motion, their eyes locked with his as they finished the tune together.

“Look inside your heart, for there I will always be...”

Big smiles graced the faces of all, especially Little Erestor’s. His body now seemed relaxed and calm, even though one tiny fist still clutched Erestor’s hair.

The spell was broken by Glorfindel who, having snuck up on the unsuspecting twins, placed a large hand on top of each identical head and unceremoniously pushed them fully under. Little Erestor gasped and tensed but did not turn; instead he seemed entranced as the twins surged up to the surface and immediately gave chase. Their shrieks so shrill and loud a large flock of nesting birds squawked their displeasure as they flew off from the noise.

The pull of the fight drew Little Erestor forward as he leaned away from Erestor and reached his hand out towards his friends.

“Would you like to join them?” queried Erestor.

Quickly he was answered. “No. Not today.” And Little Erestor shrunk back against him as several droplets of water made their way from the mock battle to his outstretched arm.

Erestor closed his eyes and sighed. Every step forward was wrought with fear and trepidation. For the occasional bouts of happiness there were just as many steeped in sadness. At least today his anger seemed to have disappeared, and here he stood in waist deep water with Little Erestor on his hip and no accompanying fits of crying or hysteria. Mayhap this was a new beginning of sorts. Today, Erestor decided, he must somehow mark a new era in the elfling’s life.

A zealous mood suddenly came upon him, and he wanted to infect Little Erestor with it. Putting his mouth to Little Erestor’s ear, he whispered, “Pen dithen, Glorfindel is a warrior of great renown. I am sure Elladan and Elrohir have recounted many tales of his heroism, and I suspect Glorfindel himself has filled your head with his glory. Is this so?”

Little Erestor turned to whisper into his ear. “Oh yes, Big Erestor. Elladan has said that one day he will be as good as Glorfindel in everything!” When he finished he turned his ear back to Erestor.

“Do you think I, a mere counselor to our Lord Elrond, can best Glorfindel in combat?”

Little Erestor giggled madly at the suggestion, shook his head no, and leaned close for another whisper. “You are tall, very tall Big Erestor, but Glorfindel is larger still. You cannot beat him.”

“Never?”

“Never.” Little Erestor stated with unhesitating confidence.

He flashed a grin closer to menace than to warmth, walked them out of the pond and placed Little Erestor down at the edge of the pool.

“Watch and learn, pen dithen.”

And with those words, Erestor quietly but swiftly ran and his long legs hurriedly delivered him down the sloping beach to where Glorfindel stood, calf-deep. Launching himself at Glorfindel he clasped his arms around his waist and they fell heavily together into the shallow water. Erestor unashamedly felt as much of the firm, hard body as he dared, reveling in the strength of resistance from Glorfindel who squirmed in his grasp, attempting escape. The water heaved and boiled where they fought beneath it until two heads emerged for breath, one dark, one light. Expeditiously Erestor pulled Glorfindel back down for he still had the advantage. Legs kicked and sought firm ground, but Erestor held fast until he could stay no longer underwater. He efficiently pushed away and had swum half the length of the pond before Glorfindel found his bearings and stood.

Glorfindel rose gloriously, transformed from mere elf to fey water creature, beautiful, powerful, and gleaming as Anor reflected off the liquid sluicing down the taut ridges and planes of his torso. Between his thighs, Glorfindel was well armed, shamelessly, lusciously big. He never tired of this sight, and when first he met Glorfindel he found every reason for them to head to the river for a swim.

Glorfindel’s chest heaved and his eyes stared accusingly at him over the distance of the pool. His demeanor arrogant, Glorfindel dramatically lifted one arm and extended an accusing finger in his direction.

“Prepare to pay for your folly, Erestor!”

Erestor placed a hand over his heart and donning a most innocent face answered, “Me?”

The elflings, simultaneously, had a different reaction. “No!” They screamed. “We shall save you, Big Erestor!”

Elladan and Elrohir furiously paddled after Glorfindel, and he could hear Little Erestor calling for him to move quickly. Glorfindel, meanwhile, progressed threateningly towards him, getting ever deeper, and when the twins reached Glorfindel, he picked them up with ease and flung them away, their screeching ceased as they hit the water and sunk beneath.

Glorfindel continued his advance and the elflings continued their attempts to thwart his attack. Erestor jeered and taunted Glorfindel, while continually moving out of his reach with quickness and the twin’s blessed interference. It amused him to see Glorfindel truly irritated, getting more and more annoyed by the minute. He was not used to being bested in any way, and Erestor had managed to not only master him but continued to do so. Though the banter was light and gay their game had a taint of seriousness about it, and Erestor was as determined not to be caught as Glorfindel was to catch him. Yet the thrill of being Glorfindel’s sought after prey inflamed him too.

They continued to dance around the pond until even Elladan and Elrohir gave up and retreated to the rocks with Little Erestor. All three jumped up and down with excitement and yelled out their support for Erestor. Suddenly Glorfindel mounted an assertive attack, swimming toward him with powerful strokes. His eyes glittered with aggression, and as Erestor dodged right, Glorfindel’s fingertips grazed his left arm sending shivers through him. He yelped involuntarily. Erestor had been waiting for just such an opening and pushed swiftly for the shore. His feet finally touched the muddy bottom, and he struggled through the thigh-deep water, moving slowly like a never ending nightmare. Breathing heavy from the exertion and the emotion, he allowed a triumphant smile to grace his face for he could see his victory until a sturdy hand wrapped around his ankle and jerked him off balance, forcing the air from his chest as he landed face down in the water, and his ears filled with the horrified shrieks of the elflings.

Glorfindel dragged him out deeper and flipped him over onto his back. Erestor frantically flailed as he blindly searched for purchase on the pond’s substrate, but strong hands had an iron grip on his hips and pulled him forward until he was pelvis to pelvis against Glorfindel. The contact caused an unwitting shock of pleasure through his body, and he gasped aloud. When his vision cleared, he saw menacing eyes beholding him, and Glorfindel’s face was a mask of danger and intimidation. And then he felt a small pressure as he was easily tipped backwards forcing his head underwater.

He came up sputtering, still held tight by Glorfindel, who now looked more amused than treacherous.

“I have you now, Erestor. It is time you declared defeat.”

The haughty voice irritated him and he shouted, “Never!”

Erestor was dipped back once more, slowly this time.

When he emerged, gasping and spitting, he saw that Glorfindel was truly enjoying himself.

“I am the winner, Erestor. You have lost. Admit this and I will free you. Refuse and I will be satisfied to spend the rest of this day dunking you in the water.”

Glorfindel waited several minutes for an answer as Erestor slyly looked for a way to free himself but just as Glorfindel made to tip him back he conceded.

“You are the victor.”

Glorfindel cocked his head to the side and looked off into the distance. “What was that sound? A faint whisper? A mere sigh in the wind?” He shook his head. “Nay, I heard nothing.” Erestor again felt pressure on hips. Quickly he released his pride and laughingly yelled.

“You are the victor!” Even with his ears half filled with water he could hear his shout echoing off the pond’s steep banks. The elflings were mysteriously silent.

Obviously garnering favor with his lusty shout, Glorfindel once more looked upon him. “Who is the victor?”

“You! Glorfindel is the victor!”

“Glorfindel is the victor, and?”

“And I am defeated.”

“Who is defeated?”

“Erestor is defeated! Come Glorfindel, release me!”

Mischievous eyes glinted at him reflecting an unnerving hunger. “I find I like you in this position. “

Erestor decided it was time to struggle anew. The unruly and erotic thoughts he experienced were inappropriate for the setting and the casual bump of Glorfindel’s lax genitals against his thighs caused the beginnings of the familiar sweet tightening in his groin. He took a firm grasp on Glorfindel’s hands and worked to pry the fingers off while kicking his legs furiously. His actions were to no avail as Glorfindel reinforced his hold and broadened his grin.

“Unhand me, Glorfindel! Enough! I have declared you winner and I defeated.”

Glorfindel, whose moods were often black also had a streak of inappropriateness and now was not the time. There was an audience of elflings to whom he must not appear weak, and it would not do to let them see him in this position for long. Nor would it be wise for them to see his more base reaction to his current predicament.

With a flash of irritation and pensive pout set on his mouth, Glorfindel let loose his grip, then grasped his arms and pulled Erestor to his feet. Face to face, Glorfindel stared hard at him as if searching…for something. That look, too quick to contemplate, broke as he was abruptly liberated.

“As you wish, and if you will not play further then I shall have to find new prey.” Glorfindel’s mood switched to menace as he turned to face the elflings. “Now you must answer for your treachery! You have betrayed me and must pay for your crime!”

Screeching, the three ran for the meadow where the horses grazed. Short legs pumped furiously and propelled them quickly away. They would, however, be unable to avoid Glorfindel who now loped after them, gracefully moving with careful precision. They screamed at top voice in a gleeful panic while attempting to avoid Glorfindel, racing this way and that but always staying in close contact with each other.

Erestor weakly exited the water and fell onto a sun-warmed rock. He struggled to dampen his desire and forced his attention to the game now in progress. Glorfindel skillfully played with the elflings, cutting off their escape routes and slowly limiting their choices to a smaller and smaller area, until he made his final tactical maneuver and culled Little Erestor from the tiny pack.

Grasping Little Erestor by one ankle and holding him forth, Glorfindel began a leisurely pace back towards Erestor. Little Erestor swung wildly as he kicked and screamed trying to loose himself from the strong clutch. Elladan and Elrohir ran along trying desperately to free their friend; their ineffectual hands slapping and feet kicking. Glorfindel, with inconsequential laxity, occasionally swung an absent-minded swat their way.

Once they reached the foot of the rock where Erestor sat, Glorfindel went gracefully to one knee. The twins, used to his ever changing moods and games, knelt down almost immediately. Little Erestor lay in a heap before them panting heavily but a contented smile graced his face.

Glorfindel spoke gravely, “My lord, I have captured this most cunning of elves and bring him to you for his pronouncement. He is yours to do as you will.”

Glorfindel manhandled Little Erestor up off the ground. “Kneel before our liege, you knave.” He swiftly fell before Erestor, that same satisfied grin still upon his lips.

Erestor jumped lightly off the rock and walked around Little Erestor pretending to inspect his new gift. He rubbed the smooth bald head, satisfied to note that the minute knife wounds were already healing. He leaned down and cupped Little Erestor’s face and lifted his chin. It was clear he enjoyed the game and the attention. Erestor had never seen him smile or laugh until last night and today it seemed as if Little Erestor was incapable of a serious face. He meant to give him another reason to smile when he thought of this day, and Glorfindel had given him the perfect opening. He tapped the end of Little Erestor’s nose and straightened.

“Rise, my minions! I command you to fetch me leaves and small twigs and flowers.”

Glorfindel threw him a glare when he mentioned picking flowers.

“Ah, nay, no flowers! Leaves and twigs will suffice. Quickly now!”

Little Erestor made as if to follow but he grabbed his hand.

“Not you, pen dithen. Up you go, onto the rock.” Erestor helped him climb to the perch. Little Erestor quickly crossed his legs comfortably and watched the twins and Glorfindel gathering as ordered. Each returned with an odd assortment of vegetation clutched to their chests. Erestor directed them to wet their bundles in the pond before placing them at his feet.

“I, your lord and liege, have determined that this elfling must be named. I will bestow upon him his name for life to be unique and cherished and known to all. Today, forevermore, shall be his Name Day!”

He heard Little Erestor gasp. The twins clapped and shouted excitedly. Glorfindel gave him an approving smile. Bending down, Erestor grabbed a handful of wet leaves and twigs and began placing them around Little Erestor’s head. Carefully he constructed a crude crown changing the look here and there until he was satisfied. Stepping back he perused his creation.

“It is done. You shall henceforth be known as Lindir. You are The Singer for your song is as lovely as any sung by the birds, as sweet as the finest wine, and as pleasing as a warm summer wind.”

Lindir sat up even straighter and beamed. The power of a new name immediately changed his countenance. Erestor sat beside Glorfindel, leaving Lindir seated high above them, and together they all called out.

“Lindir! The Singer!”