RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Legolas was so concerned about what his father had done and the confrontation which was about to take place that he did not even notice elves whispering all about him. Haldir, however, heard a great deal that made him angry. He made it a point to glare at the elves within view who were gossiping about what they had heard. Anna had followed in Legolas' footsteps, filled with thoughts of her humiliation and anger towards Thranduil. However every step that drew her closer to the king's tent also filled her with fear. Thranduil was a formidable elf, and while Anna hoped Legolas would challenge his father's opinion of her, she also began to lose her rage and with it her courage in facing the elf king a second time. By the time they reached the flap of the tent Anna's courage had deserted her completely and she would have run in the other direction, but when she turned to do so she ran directly into Haldir.

Anna could not hear the argument in the tent but Haldir could and what he heard made him frown even more deeply. He could feel the emotions coming off of Anna in waves. so strongly that he had begun to get a headache. Haldir did not wish to enter the king's tent either, but for entirely different reasons. It was one thing to vent his anger at the Sylvan prince after having been punched, but anything he might say to king Thranduil could reflect on his lord and lady and make it difficult to renew relations between the two realms. He also respected Anna as a friend and wanted to protect her from the heated argument between Legolas and his father which had become so loud Haldir wondered if Anna could hear it too. Galadriel touched Anna's shoulder at that moment saying, "Come child, you are weary and not completely healed. You should return to the healers' tent and rest."

"You aren't going to let the king take me are you?" Anna asked fearfully.

"No child, have no fear. Mithrandir asked my people to keep you safe and that is exactly what we intend to do," Galadriel replied.

Glad for an excuse to hide her feelings and make a retreat, Anna let Galadriel take her to the healing tents. Celeborn whispered something to Haldir that Anna could not hear and then nodded toward the tent as she and Galadriel headed in the opposite direction. The events of the day had exhausted Anna physically and emotionally so when she arrived in the healing tent she lay down and fell asleep almost immediately.

When Anna opened her eyes again it was morning. She had slept so long and well that for a moment she thought maybe the events of the day before had only been a nightmare but reality hit her when she started to move she realized her arms were stiff and sore where Thranduil had grabbed her. She opened her eyes slightly to see if anyone else was up and around. Anna did not want to face anyone today and was seriously thinking about trying to hide out in bed by pretending she was still asleep for most of the day. This plan was ruined when shortly after she woke. One of the healers came over and shook her gently, insisting she wake and telling her that the camp was being moved once again. Anna sighed. Avoiding people was one thing, but letting everyone else work while she lazed about all day in bed was against her nature and if they were breaking camp she certainly did not want to be left behind with spiders, goblins and who knew what other dangers lurking in the forest. So she got up and after washing her hands and face, ate some of the cheese and carrots that were set out on a table to one side of the tent. Anna noticed that there were some cold meats there also but she shuddered at the thought of what animal they might have come from. The memory of the spiders was still very fresh in her mind and who knew what kind of animal this might have been. Anna had nothing against a nice hamburger, or even steak, but she preferred to know what kind of meat she was eating.

Haldir arrived in the tent a short time later followed by Orophin, Rumil and Legolas. Anna groaned mentally as she saw Legolas walk in. The only person she could think of that would have made her more uncomfortable was Thranduil. She had not seen Legolas at all since he entered his father's tent the night before and while she was a little curious at what had happened when he went to tell daddy off, she was more than a little afraid that Thranduil could do exactly as he had threatened even though Galadriel had assured her that they intended to keep her with them.

"Good morning Anna. How are you feeling?" Haldir took a perverse pleasure in the fact that Legolas did not speak any of Anna's language.

"Good morning Haldir, I'm a little tired and sore but better than I was yesterday," Anna replied.

Haldir did not understand all of what Anna had said, but he was not going to ask her to try translating in front of Legolas because he was enjoying the prince's obvious confusion. Yes, thought Haldir, being able to tease Legolas in such a way was going to be enjoyable indeed and perhaps almost make up for the prince having punched him.

Orophin and Rumil had been told everything that had gone on the previous day. They were also very familiar with their brother's biting wit and decided to join in the game of 'tease the smitten elf'. Orophin gave Anna a warm hug that kept her in his arms perhaps just a little longer than necessary and Rumil gave her a peck on the cheek. Anna raised an eyebrow at these gestures and would have asked what was up if Haldir had not smiled and winked at her and then stared at Legolas. This drew Anna's attention to the prince and she stood there staring blankly at him, waiting for him to speak, but all that Legolas could manage were some non-committal mumbles of " ah...um...er."

Anna thought to herself, 'how typically male', but rather than asking Legolas what had happened between him and the king, she turned to Haldir and asked, "where are we moving the camp to?"

Haldir answered, "We are going south to Gondor."

Anna felt quite relieved at this statement. She had been told Thranduil's kingdom was in the north, and she would not care if Haldir had said they would be dropping off the edge of the earth so long as it lay in the opposite direction from the king. Anna had some very fond memories of her journey to the woods with Orophin and the Galadrim, and she was looking forward to being as far away from the spiders, orcs and fires as she could possibly get.

Anna had a thousand questions as they prepared to leave the camping place, and she reminded Haldir of his brothers when they were small. Her questions covered everything from what Gondor was like and how far away it was to what they could expect to see on the way. Haldir shook his head smiling and thought to himself,'at least she is not asking every five minutes if we have yet arrived.'