RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

By midday on the first day Anna was so tired of being on a horse that she could hardly move. The group had set a hurried pace and Anna doubted that she would be traveling south with them at all if there had been no need to protect her from Thranduil. This was definitely not the enjoyable slow foot pace they had used to come to the Golden Wood. She could tell that Haldir felt sorry for her, but unfortunately this did not slow the group down one bit. The pace did not seem to bother Haldir at all even though Anna knew he was supposedly still recovering from injuries, and the healer who had come with them hovered over him whenever they watered the horses. Haldir grumbled at the healer and Anna was unable to understand about half of the words he said, but some of the ones she did hear were the kind Orophin had warned her not to repeat.

They were traveling over a vast prairie. The sun beat down on them, making Anna sweat. The air was thick and muggy and clouds of tiny biting insects were everywhere. The few women who rode in the company were toward the center of the group with the men in front, back and on either side. The men were keeping a close eye on the surrounding terrain, their eyes darting this way and that as if looking for something or someone. Everyone except Anna was armed. Even Galadriel had a bow and quiver of arrows slung over her back and many of the males rode with one hand on the pommel of a short sword or long knife. The feeling of unease was so thick on the air that Anna could almost taste it. Anna had taken the kerchief off her head and tied it around her nose and mouth partly to keep the gnats from flying in and partly to keep enough dust out of them that she could breathe. This trip was no fun at all. It was a literal and figurative pain in the rear.
The party did not stop to make camp until dusk. By this time Anna had been on her horse for so long that when she tried to dismount her legs would hardly carry her. She felt as if she were walking like a sumo wrestler and every inch of her seemed covered with dirt and sweat. What did not hurt itched. She was tired, hungry, thirsty and felt as though she had swallowed the prairie whole. It was then that someone or something had chosen to attack the camp. Anna couldn't see what or who it was but the others obviously could. All around her Anna could hear the thwop of arrows as they met their targets accompanied by a sickening gasp or scream of pain. Anna was no coward but being unarmed and unable to see much in the dark had her completely terrified. As suddenly as it had begun the attack ended and all that could be heard were the horses stomping and huffing and the men whispering. Anna still could hardly see so when she felt a hand on her shoulder she screamed until she heard Rumil telling her not to fear, that it was only him. Many of the men laughed then but Anna did not find it funny at all. The men cleaned up and appointed guards once they had decided that there was no more immediate danger. Then settled down to cooking. Wineskins were passed around, along with the type of stories that warriors share over good food and a fire. It took Anna a very long time to fall asleep that night. She slept fitfully waking from nightmares several times before the sun began to rise.
The next morning Anna woke to Rumil and Legolas laughing as they teased Orophin. She was not well rested. She had a headache and wished that there was a Middle-Earth equivalent to coffee. The fact that the men all seemed to be in high spirits laughing, joking or just trading stories in Sindarin only made her head hurt worse. Anna was sore tired and scared out of her wits. Behind every bush and tall clump of grass she imagined she saw an orc. Every time one of the horse would shy or snort, Anna startled in fear that they would be attacked again. By the time they stopped for lunch, Anna was exhausted mentally, emotionally and physically. Anna leaned her back against a tree while she ate making sure that there was nothing in the tree first. She ate very little and when she was finished she poured some cold water over a rag. Returning to the relative safety she felt with the tree at her back, she leaned back and closed her eyes with the rag over them hoping her headache would go away. She had not intended to doze off and did not even realize she had until Haldir gently tapped her shoulder. He had not meant to startle her but once again she almost jumped out of her skin as she woke screaming. This of course brought a stream of laughter from most of the males.

"Oh ha ha ha, very funny." Anna gritted out sarcastically.

One of the healers tried reassuring her by saying. "These warriors have long years of practice in protecting our people from danger. You need not fear so long as they are with us."

Anna felt a little embarrassed by how she had reacted but the healers reassurance did little to take away her fear; it only made her reluctant to tell Haldir and his borthers how much she was truly hating this trip. It made her feel even worse when the healer, realizing that she was saddle sore and would be unable to ride further if something was not done, insisted on healing her sore muscles. This of course meant he had to touch the inside of her thighs and her butt. It was bad enough to hurt so much, but it was humiliating to have a stranger touch her in such a way, even if it was only to help her. Seeing the males laugh and whisper added to the way she felt; and to top it all off, her horse being unused to someone who was so skittish tried to bite her as she started to mount. Anna felt her eyes burn and glass over and kept thinking to herself 'I am not going to cry! I refuse to cry!'

It was at this point that Haldir did something she had not been expecting at all. He picked her up and sat her on his horse and then swung up behind her.

Anna was torn between telling him that it was not necessary and crying in relief when Haldir said, "You are weary and unused to riding at such a pace. Ride with me and you may rest while we continue. I will make certain that you are safe."

If looks could have killed at that moment then Legolas would have been guilty of kin slaying. Haldir did not even notice the cold glare he received, nor did Anna, but Orophin saw and positioned his horse so that he could speak to the prince without being overheard.

"You need not fear my brothers feelings for her. He has always been protective of those who are younger and weaker, but his heart lies elsewhere. He does not seek to cut the grass under your feet, I assure you!"

Legolas and Orophin had begun an easy camaraderie that was quickly turning into a close friendship. So after a moments pause he decided to confide in his new friend.

"You are certain he feels nothing but friendship toward her?"

"Oh, he feels a bit more than friendship. He sees her as the little sister we never had."

Legolas was unsure if this made him feel better or worse, for elves were very protective of those whom they considered as family, and elder brothers tended to be over-protective. Legolas considered Haldir's actions since he had arrived in a whole new light and groaned inwardly as he ventured a further question.

"What of Anna? What do you think she feels toward Haldir?"

The words were out of his mouth before he realized how they could be interpreted and he quickly added. "I would not wish the lady to be hurt if she has feelings for your brother which cannot be returned."

Orophin simply smiled and whispered." That my friend you will have to ask the lady yourself."