RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Title: Chains Unseen
Author: Mawgy
Beta: Naresha (Thanks!) Mum & Boney
Dedicated to my lovely fans
Rated: G
Genre: Angst, AU
Warnings: talk of male pregnancy
Pairing: Erestor/Glorfindel
Summary: Strict societal rules constrain everyone. How do two betrothed youths deal with the expectations placed upon them? MPREG!
Disclaimer: I own nothing and am making no money from this story… I just like to play with other people’s toys. ;)



Chapter 3



Glorfindel returned from his horse ride just before lunch. Bringing the horse round to the garden just outside their small patio, Glorfindel let the stallion wander and jumped the small fence to enter the bedroom. Inside he saw Erestor looking quite flushed and resting against the pillows on the bed, his previously immaculate robes now ruffled and wrinkled.

“Is anything amiss?” the blonde inquired, moving to the bed.

Erestor roused from his repose and looked to his husband. “No, everything is fine,” his lips twisted into a smile and he sat up straight. “How was your ride?”

“It was wonderful… The wind on my face, the feeling of solitude and of being free. Only bound by the strength of another being. It was exhilarating,” Glorfindel beamed, climbing onto the bed to sit next to Erestor.

“I can see why you enjoy this activity so,” Erestor said.

“Have you ever ridden before?” Glorfindel asked.

“I know how to, but it is not something I do often. I look forward to tomorrow’s romp all the more now, if I am still invited?”

“Of course you are. But come, what did you do whilst I was away?” Glorfindel queried, still caught up by Erestor’s appearance.

“I read for most of the time. An hour ago a healer arrived to examine me. Everything is exactly as it was last time I was checked just a few days ago. I am still ripe and in perfect health,” Erestor remarked.

“Excellent. And… are you pregnant?” Glorfindel asked.

“The healer did not say so one way or the other. I am sure if he could tell for certain he would have said something. Still, it is early days yet and might take some time for symptoms to show themselves. He is still here, if you would like to ask him anything,” Erestor offered, and pointed to the bathroom.

“I think I will. But, why do you look so flushed?”

Erestor remained calm. “He was just very thorough and I became quite uncomfortable in some parts of the inspection. It was not an easy pose to hold for so long either. I really am fine, just drained and a little embarrassed,” he assured Glorfindel.

At that moment, the healer exited the bathroom, wiping his hands on a towel.

“Oh, I thought I heard another voice. Lord Glorfindel, it is an honour to assist you and your spouse in this endeavour. I look forward to safeguarding your wellbeing. I am Clorel, newly appointed head healer of your House,” the elf introduced himself and bowed politely.

“Well, that is good to hear. Though… what is this endeavour that you speak of?” Glorfindel asked.

“From what Lady Gwendil tells me, you two are trying to conceive, are you not?”

“No we are not,” Glorfindel growled lowly and left the bed. “If you have time, could I please have a word with you in the next room?”

“Oh, yes of course,” Clorel agreed. Placing the hand towel back in his bag, the healer picked up his apparatuses. “Have a good day, and be sure to reserve all your energy,” Clorel said to Erestor and bowed his head. Turning around, he left the room and waited for Glorfindel.

“This will not take long,” Glorfindel informed Erestor and followed the healer.

Erestor lay back into the pillows and closed his eyes, relaxing completely.

~*~*~*~

Outside the room, Glorfindel closed the door and sat in a chair at the table, waving his hand to offer a seat to the healer as well.

“I have some concerns about Erestor becoming pregnant…” Glorfindel started.

“Oh? Please do not be afraid to ask me questions, though it would be better if Erestor were present to hear anything I have to say,” Clorel informed.

“Perhaps, but for now I would like to discuss it with you privately.”

“If that is your choice,” Clorel allowed.

“Erestor… He is not of age yet, but is able to give conceive already… is that not strange?” Glorfindel asked.

“It is rare for males to be able to become with child at such an early age, but it is not unheard of. The youngest reported age to date was thirty years of age. That is more than a decade younger than your spouse, and it is only in the past year that Erestor has become ripe,” Clorel said.

“How did this younger male deal with childbirth?” Glorfindel asked.

“It was not until he was sixty-five that he became with child, but everything occurred normally.”

“How old was the youngest male at the time of pregnancy?”

“Fifty-five has been the youngest recorded male pregnancy,” Clorel looked like he was able to say something else, but stopped himself.

Glorfindel eyed him carefully. “How did the pregnancy affect this elf?”

Clorel sighed softly. “Everything appeared to be normal throughout the pregnancy, but when it came time for childbirth… It was a mess. His hips were too narrow; there was some tearing… far too much blood. It really is a miracle that both he and the child survived. But medicine has come a long way in the past century since then and I am sure that I, and the other Healers on my staff will be able to handle any situation that may arise,” Clorel tried to assure his Lord.

“Erestor is petite, even for an elf he is quite small. If the problem with this other elf was the lack of width in his hips, then no matter how skilled you may be, I can not see it being of any help to Erestor, unless this other one was smaller than even Erestor, which I find a little difficult to believe.”

“Forgive me, my Lord, but it seems you are looking for excuses for Erestor to not become pregnant, when it is the very fact that he is able to conceive that you married him in the first place,” Clorel tried to counter.

“I married him so my parents would not lose face in an agreement they made forty years ago. It was his ability to conceive that convinced them to agree to the pairing, the decision itself had nothing to do with me. I am merely concerned with his wellbeing, and I would hope that as a Healer, the safety of your patients should out-weigh anything else. If Erestor became pregnant, is it likely to affect his health and body adversely?” Glorfindel asked point-blank.

Clorel sighed. “You must understand, your mother is not someone to be taken lightly. If I do not condone this pregnancy and do everything I can to help you and your mate, then she will just bring in another Healer, who may not have my expertise. Yes, this child will be a risk to Erestor, but it is an even greater risk to not try. Politically, you are not in a sound position; defensively, there have been a great many wars and survival is not assured, an heir is a great asset in these troubled times, and socially a new baby will bring a lot of joy and hope to the people of this city. It is just the beginning of your relationship and you are still young. I can understand your reluctance to have a child so early on, but one is needed to secure your place and continue your line. Erestor understands this, I do not know why you are struggling against it so,” Clorel strongly suggested.

“You did not answer my question. Forget politics, forget my mother and forget putting your occupation in jeopardy. If Erestor and I were any other couple not in our situations, would you encourage us to have a child or not?”

Clorel made to reply quickly, but looking into Glorfindel’s hard eyes, he stayed his words for a moment. Lowering his gaze, Clorel admitted, “No… No, I would not. Erestor is too young and his body would not handle the pregnancy well. And although the previously youngest male did indeed survive the delivery, it was not long after that he faded.” Clorel sighed, relieved.

“Thank you,” Glorfindel whispered, placed a strong hand on the Healer’s shoulder for a moment, then stood to go back into the bedroom.

“If you are that set against the idea, then a fierce fight against your mother will not be far off. And if Erestor does not bear a child soon, she will do anything in her power to make his life miserable until-”

“I know,” Glorfindel interrupted.

“It would be unwise to anger her so.”

“Believe me I know,” Glorfindel half laughed. “But if it is not safe for my new spouse, and I am personally feeling this uncomfortable about it, then surely it is not in the child’s interest either, just because everyone else feels it is the right thing to do.” Glorfindel leaned against the door and sighed. “Erestor and I have done right by our parents by honouring their agreement, though he and I have never met save for once years ago when the pact was originally made. We have done right by the Valar by consummating the marriage, showing physically our gratitude for their blessing. In a week’s time I am to take my recently departed father’s place as Lord of the House of the Golden Flower, all in less than a year after my majority. Most Elves are twice my age before this kind of responsibility is placed upon them!” Glorfindel had now left the door and began pacing, his arms flying wildly as he started ranting. “My schedule for the next three years has already been planned! Is there not one thing in my life that I can control? Are we now not allowed a little time for ourselves this week to get to know one another and decide how we shall live together, whether as a couple or as parents? Must every decision important in my life be thrust upon me by others!? If I were anyone else, a peasant, a human… A horse! If I were anyone else life would be much simpler and I could be free to live it as I see fit. I do not wish for this life,” Glorfindel spun around one last time then slumped into his chair, holding his head in his hands.

Clorel leaned over and placed a hand upon the younger elf’s shoulder and gently rubbed it. “I recall a conversation much like this not so long ago with another elf soon to be a leader. He was so scared about all the negative possibilities that he was unable to see all the good that could come from his situation. But then he married a suitable wife. Wise, majestic, always difficult… she calmed his nerves and together they ruled fairly and raised a son, mature enough to accept responsibility, no matter when it was placed upon him. Whatever you are feeling, I am sure Erestor is also contemplating his new life. Though he was born a peasant, he had no choice in his life either. After all, he was only two when the arrangement was made. Do not be so sure your life could be better were you born another,” Clorel reasoned and tried to comfort.

Glorfindel sighed deeply and slowly. After a moment, he raised his head, a small smile upon it, and Clorel’s hand slipped from his shoulder. “If you do not mind, I had best return to Erestor. If you are not busy, please come again tomorrow so we may discuss this in more detail with Erestor.”

“Of course, my lord. I shall come mid-morn again,” Clorel bowed. Opening the door, he startled the maid bringing the lunchtime meal. “Oh excuse me,” he said, putting his hands out to stabilise the tray.

“‘Tis quite all right,” she replied. Clorel moved aside for her to come in. “My lord,” she greeted Glorfindel and curtsied as much as she could, placing the tray on the sideboard as before.

“Thank you,” Glorfindel graciously said. “If you will excuse me,” he said and exited into the bedroom.

The maid took no notice and left immediately. Clorel stayed a moment longer and sighed, not looking forward to his upcoming meeting with Lady Gwendil. Sighing, he walked out, closing the door behind him.


~*~*~*~


Returning to the bedroom, Glorfindel found Erestor patting down the covers on the bed, straightening out the crinkles his body had caused. Noticing movement, Erestor stopped what he was doing and looked to Glorfindel.

Glorfindel’s eyes roamed Erestor’s lithe body and his resolve was strengthened all the more, not wishing to cause harm to his spouse when it was avoidable. With a reassuring smile, Glorfindel put out his hand for Erestor. Walking to his husband, Erestor’s small, delicate hand was grasped by Glorfindel’s large, rough hands. Rubbing the tiny digits carefully, Glorfindel avoided Erestor’s gaze and drew in breath before he started talking. His mouth hung open for a moment, but shut it again soon after. Holding the hands a little firmer, he shook his head and looked up, a corner of his mouth twitching into a smile.

“Come, lunch has been delivered,” he said and led the small elf out of the room. Pulling out a chair, Glorfindel stood behind it, waiting for Erestor to sit. Once his husband was settled, Glorfindel moved to the buffet. “What would you like to eat?”

“I do not mind, but I really should be doing that. Please, sit…” Erestor half stood as he spoke, wanting to serve his mate.

“No, allow me. You are not a servant whom must serve me without question, nor am I so helpless that I am unable to serve myself. Now, what would you like?” Glorfindel said as firmly as polite conversation would allow.

“Fruit would be lovely, thank you,” Erestor answered.

“Do you not like meat?” Glorfindel asked.

“It is not that I do not like it, just that I am unaccustomed to it. Thank you,” Erestor said as Glorfindel lay the plate in front of him.

“I would have thought living near the farmlands you would eat the freshest meat possible,” Glorfindel said as he retrieved his own food.

“I grew up far out in the countryside, on the very edges of Gondolin’s borders,” Erestor politely corrected.

Glorfindel took his plate to the table, and chose to sit opposite Erestor. The blonde looked quizzical. “Your parents, they live on the edges of the city, do they not?”

“They do,” Erestor agreed.

“I would hardly call that the edges of the Gondolin’s borders.”

“I did not live with my parents for the majority of my childhood,” Erestor said, ignoring his cutlery and food for the time being.

Glorfindel looked astonished. Being a child of nobility he was no stranger to servants raising him, but to not live with his parents altogether would have been devastating. “Why is that?” Glorfindel inquired. “Do you have other family out there…?”

“No. I was sent away so that I could be taught in private.”

“Taught what?”

“Everything. Anything that I could use later in life that would be useful to you,” Erestor lowered his head then raised it again to look Glorfindel in the eyes once more.

“Why would such extremes be needed just for me?” Glorfindel half laughed, though internally felt despair that Erestor’s early years were spent in solitude and studies only for him.

“It was part of the agreement to our union. Your parents did not desire a peasant for the partner of their only child, let alone for them to be male. But times were tough when this city was first built. All expenses were put into homes and medicine, there was little left over for luxuries. My mother made your parents entire wardrobes full of exquisite gowns and robes. My father constructed crowns and jewellery. Your father was a battalion leader, unused to the life of royalty, but knew he needed to look the part were he to play the role. Rather than monetary payment, which your parents did not have at the time, my mother and father instead ensured my future by tying it with yours. From what I have heard, your parents argued against it, but eventually had no other option as my parents admittedly gave them none. Money straight up or our marriage. They grudgingly agreed once it was determined that I would be able to give birth later in life, a gift my mother’s father also possessed. There were many conditions to the agreement itself, but one that your parents insisted upon was that I would live away from criticising eyes so I may study in peace, and I assume, that upon my return few would remember I am the son of peasants. I was allowed to visit my parents for a week each year. I do value the little time we had together, but they were so busy sewing or welding that our time was even more constrained. By not taking payment from your parents, it nearly put mine in financial ruin. They have worked very hard ever since to ensure stability once more. And it did not help that my lodgings and tutelage were so great, even though your parents were gracious enough to pay for half of my education once the economy had stabilised. I also reported to your mother during these times, in secret, of course. I would display my knowledge and etiquette to her so she could ensure my progress was satisfactory. Surely you knew of this, though?” Erestor inquired.

Glorfindel’s face had fallen completely, his hand covering his mouth. Realising Erestor was waiting for an answer; the blonde removed his hand. “No… I had no idea… I have been told from birth that I was betrothed, but none of the details were ever shared with me,” Glorfindel’s brow was furrowed, deeply disturbed by what Erestor had told him.

Erestor watched his husband with growing concern. “It is done. None of it matters now. I do not regret my life if in someway I can prove useful to you. Please, do not dwell on what I have said,” Erestor asked.

“How can I not? The happiest years of your life have been sacrificed for me! And I was never told!” Glorfindel was near shouting and Erestor bowed his head, ashamed he had made his husband angry so early on in their marriage.

Glorfindel wanted to rant again, but one look at Erestor stayed him. “Oh, Erestor, I am not mad at you,” he said, his voice much softer now, one hand sliding across the table to pat Erestor’s. “I just, I would have liked to have known. My parents should not have demanded you forego your parents for most of your life. And now that you are married, you shall see them even less… I do not wish to prolong your suffering in this manner. Why do we not invite them for dinner? Tonight. And at least once a week from now on. I would not like your relationship with them to be constrained all the more on my account. What say you?” Glorfindel asked, an entreating smile upon his face.

“I will agree to tonight, if they are free. As for the latter, if our schedules allow it, then I would be delighted to entertain them, if that truly is your wish,” Erestor replied.

“I would like to get to know the people who gave you life, but you do not have to say it as though I am the only one asking for their presence. Erestor, if *you* want them here, then they are welcome. If *you* do not, then that is fine too.”

“I shall stand by my original response. But Glorfindel, yo-”

“That is nice,” Glorfindel smiled dreamily.

“Pardon?” Erestor asked.

“You said my name. Beautifully, I might add,” Glorfindel smiled. Erestor’s lips twitched, but said nothing on the matter.

“You must understand, I saw my parents so few times in my life. I know this is wrong of me, but I do not regard them as being my true parents. Of course, I know they are. They gave birth to me, fed me, clothed me and educated me. But they did not do that physically. My tutors and carers did all of that for me. To me, my parents are more like distant relatives that families visit for the sake of staying in touch with them. Beyond that, it is difficult for me to feel anything towards them.”

“I do not think that is wrong of you. If anything, it would be expected after so long a time of separation. But now that you are living so close to them again, surely bridges can be built to close the gap you and surely they are feeling. What do you say?”

Erestor looked down and began nodding. “Yes, I agree.”

“Excellent. I shall send word to them once we are done eating. Though, there is one thing I would like to ask about what you said before. You said that my parents insisted you were sent so far away so no one would remember you are a peasant when you return. But, that is not so. Everyone remembers and if anything, the majority of the population approves of you all the more because of it.”

“They approve because they are also peasants. I daresay it brings them hope that they shall not always be in the position they are now. And should your father not have passed, then this marriage would not have taken place until I reached adulthood. It would have been far more low-key and discreet. As it was, I was sent for immediately after the announcement of his death and my return was witnessed by many. What started as whispers quickly grew and soon everyone knew the truth. Your mother was not terribly pleased,” Erestor explained.

Glorfindel nodded in understanding and sighed. “Thank you for telling me of this, I was completely in the dark. I do wish to discuss it further, but for now, we should eat before my chicken cools,” Glorfindel instructed and placed his napkin on his lap. Erestor followed suit and picked up his knife and fork. Just as they were to take their first bites did the door suddenly burst open, Gwendil appearing on the threshold.

“What is this I hear about you not wanting a child?” she screeched, a nervous Clorel peering around her shoulder.


TBC