RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Title: Chains Unseen
Author: Mawgy
Beta: Naresha (Thanks!) Mum & Boney
Dedicated to my lovely fans
Rated: G
Genre: Angst, AU
Warnings: talk of male pregnancy
Pairing: Erestor/Glorfindel
Summary: Strict societal rules constrain everyone. How do two betrothed youths deal with the expectations placed upon them? MPREG!
Disclaimer: I own nothing and am making no money from this story… I just like to play with other people’s toys. ;)




Chapter 4


“Speak now lest I force it from you!” Gwendil demanded.

“Mother, we are about to have lunch, if you could come back later-”

“I will not! This is a matter of utmost importance. This is your first day of marriage, you should not even be out of bed! I demand you get in there,” she pointed harshly in the direction of the bedroom, “and start conceiving my grandson!” Glorfindel’s jaw clenched in anger. Thumping his hands on the edge of the table he rose slowly, his eyes never wavering from his mother’s. Erestor jumped as the table shook, but lowered his head to avoid angering either elf more.

“If this is so important to you, then allow me first to broach an even more pressing subject. Why is it I was never told of the agreements made in this marriage?” Glorfindel asked, his voice deep and cold.

“What are you talking about?” Gwendil asked impatiently.

“Erestor was forced from his home, secluded in the middle of no where and taught only what would be required of him when he became my spouse! How could you enforce such an inhumane command on a child?”

“Well forgive me for thinking of what was best for my child and this House! With status comes sacrifices, something Erestor would have to learn at some point. It was for the best he learnt early on rather than later. Yet this is now in the past, you should think of the future and a child is necessary in ensuring there WILL be a future!” Gwendil said sternly.

“Even if a child could cost Erestor his life? It is bad enough his childhood was compromised because of your selfish demands, but now you ask him to risk his life? What use shall he be to me then?”

“He would have served it if he did indeed give you a son,” Gwendil easily answered.

Glorfindel stared incredulously at his mother, his eyes wide.

“And if he does die, then what was the purpose of his education and separation from his parents?”

“It is hardly a matter worth getting so unsettled about since it is in the past and cannot be undone,” Gwendil said matter-of-factly.

Glorfindel felt like he was going round in circles.

“Fine, but my mind is made up and cannot be undone, so I would appreciate it if you would stop pursuing it.”

“I will not. I am your mother and the care of this House still remains in my hands, and for as long as I have say over matters, I shall always support you having a child immediately!”

Glorfindel sighed and looked at Erestor’s down-turned head. His brows drew together slowly and then swung his gaze back to his mother.

“You shall not have any say for much longer. Next week Erestor shall take your place in the court and you will only be known as the widow of the founding lord of the Golden Flower. And if it is only a week that I must endure your rants, then so be it. Shout as loud and for as long as you like, but all your arguments will be ignored and if in a week’s time, they do not desist, I can order you to be gagged,” Glorfindel smirked. “Now if you will excuse us, we were about to have lunch. Come Erestor,” Glorfindel picked up his plate and glass of water and went into the bedroom. Walking inside the doorway, he leant upon the wood until Erestor passed; head still bent, and then closed the door with a sharp twist of his elbow, leaving a stunned Gwendil behind.

Glorfindel leant against the door heavily and sighed, adding a hint of vocal approval to it. His eyes swung to Erestor, whom stood nearby, his lunch in his hands, and the blonde elf smiled almost nervously.

“Oh, that felt good… It is the first time I have spoken to her in such a way. Ever the power she has held over me and now I am in the superior position!” he ended with a soft laugh. Erestor watched his husband for a moment and indulged in a small smile of his own.

“Not to dampen your spirits, but Lady Gwendil does still hold considerable power. Once you are Lord you shall outrank her, but her influence is great and will be able to undermine you through gossip alone,” Erestor cautioned. “Not to mention that some mothers remain in the position they held whilst their husband was in power as they do with their son, even though he may be married.”

Glorfindel’s eyebrows drew together. “How so?”

“If a Lady of the court believes their son’s spouse is incapable of performing adequately in their new role, then they may petition to the King to continue on as they have done with their husband. It has not occurred in Gondolin, the city is too young, but in many other realms is it often done and is a law King Turgon wrote into our statute. I am underage and therefore my education is incomplete. Should she try to rally to keep her position, it is with little doubt that I believe she would win,” Erestor warned.

Glorfindel sighed again, but his demeanour had changed drastically. “Even if she did try, then would that not reflect badly upon her choice? For her that would be admitting she was wrong in her decision for who would be my spouse. I have never seen her admit so much as dropping a single pea on the floor!”

“Perhaps that is so. I am just advising it may be unwise to incur her wrath. Unless you believe she should continue in her position until I have finished my studies?”

“My mother and I ruling the Golden Flower together!? We shall kill each other over every tiny decision! But… Does this mean you intend to continue your education even though you are now married to me?” Glorfindel asked, pushing himself away from the door and walking over to the balcony.

“Of course. I cannot reach my full potential as your aid if my studies are not complete. Long ago I was taught the basics, and now it is the specifics of this position that I must learn. I shall do so only in my free time when I am not attending to you or carrying out my duties, so please do not fret that I will be neglectful in some way,” Erestor tried to soothe.

“I was not thinking anything of the sort. I was just a little surprised. Most spouses relinquish any kind of burden they can so they may live a life of luxury. Which I suppose your parents bought you all those years ago, so I would not blame you if you chose to indulge a little…” Glorfindel said as he started cutting into his meat.

“Thankyou for the thought, but I would rather put my education to use, or else, as you said, what would the point be of me leaving my parents for my childhood if no good came of it? I was brought up learning all I could to assist you in any way possible, to not do so would be an affront to everyone who put their faith in my abilities to be a great asset to you,” Erestor insisted.

Glorfindel finished chewing and swallowed. “Why do you have this fascination with serving me, Erestor?”

“It is what I have been trained for. I would not dare tell you how to rule your House, but if I can aid your decisions, be there to comfort and relieve pressure, then I shall do so. Part of that pressure is currently coming from your mother and I would like to help ease your burden. I was agreed upon to be your spouse because of my child-bearing quality… To not use it would be folly.”

“Stop right there. I have said I will not impregnate you just yet and that shall not change no matter how much my mother, or you, or all of Gondolin tell me that I should,” Glorfindel said sternly.

“If that is your decision then I shall obey. However, I do have one question. You told your mother pregnancy would put my life at risk… How so?”

Glorfindel sighed and dropped his fork to his plate. “Clorel told me the youngest male to give birth was 55 years old at the time of birth; that is over a decade older than you, and he experienced severe pain and blood loss. Soon after giving birth, he faded… I would not want the same to happen to you, especially after all you have endured just to be seen fit by my mother to be my husband,” Glorfindel explained.

“My body is ready to receive your seed. If complications could occur, then surely I would not yet be ripe,” Erestor tried to reason.

“Do you think Clorel would lie to me!? This elf was ready to conceive but he still-” Glorfindel stopped suddenly, and drew a deep, long breath. He could not help raising his voice and only ceased when Erestor shrank back in his chair and bowed his head. Glorfindel sighed and tried to calm himself. “I apologise for my outburst. I just thought I had made myself quite clear already.”

“Indeed you had. I am sorry for discussing it further,” Erestor spoke, a hint of regret in his voice.

“Clorel shall be joining us tomorrow; we can discuss it in length then. How is your lunch?” Glorfindel asked in a false cheerful tone, trying to turn the conversation to something lighter.

“It is very fresh,” Erestor said as he cut into a strawberry and red liquid oozed from it. “How is yours?”

“The same,” Glorfindel agreed. They fell into an uncomfortable silence, the sound of cutlery clinking against china the only sound to be heard within the chamber.

~*~

Erestor placed his glass soundlessly upon the table. Looking at Glorfindel shuffling his carrots around the plate with his fork, Erestor became concerned.

“Is there something wrong with your vegetables?” he asked politely.

Glorfindel released his fork, truthfully never realising what he had been doing. “No, I am just thinking.” He gave Erestor a reassuring smile, but said nothing else and turned his head to look out over the garden.

“Is there anything I might be able to do?” Erestor offered.

“Nay… I am just contemplating the future…”

“Can I take your plate?” Erestor queried.

“Oh, yes, I am done,” Glorfindel answered and pushed his plate towards Erestor. Erestor stood and collected the plates and cups and took them back to the dining room. He left them on the sideboard for the maids to collect later and then returned to the bedroom. Glorfindel had stood from the table and was now leaning on the terrace fence. Erestor walked over to him, pushing in their chairs as he passed the table, and stood serenely next to his husband.

“Is there anything I can do for you?” Erestor asked.

“No… I am just, oh never mind…” Glorfindel turned to look at Erestor’s expressionless face. “What would you like to do this afternoon?” he asked, a little cheerier.

“Whatever you wish,” Erestor replied easily.

“I do not mind,” Glorfindel shrugged.

“Neither do I.”

“Then that leaves us in a bit of a bind.”

“Indeed, but I shall be happy with whatever you choose,” Erestor said.

Glorfindel began to frown. “What if I left the choice to you?”

“I dare not decide perchance I choose an activity you do not like.”

“If I do not like it I will say so and you can choose another,” Glorfindel challenged.

“Then why do you not decide for I am able to find enjoyment in all manner of activities,” Erestor suggested.

Glorfindel sighed; feeling this was going very much the same way the conversation with his mother had earlier gone. “How about some chess?” he offered.

“If you like,” Erestor replied and turned to fetch the game, but a strong hand on his upper arm caught him.

“No, would you like to?” Glorfindel asked.

“If you wish to play, then I do not mind being your opponent. Unless you would like someone worthier?”

Glorfindel felt a muscle in his jaw twitch. “Go set up, I will be with you in a moment.”

Erestor went inside the room and removed the board and chess pieces from his wardrobe. He walked over to the empty fireplace where two chairs sat facing it with a small table in between. Adjusting the seats to face one another, he laid the board on the table and placed the pieces in their setting. Looking out to the balcony, he could no longer see Glorfindel. Walking outside, he saw the blonde elf with his horse, which was still wandering around their garden. The Lord was feeding the horse an apple and affectionately stroking the golden furred animal’s neck. The blonde’s lips were moving, talking to his friend, but Erestor was too far away to hear. Feeling like an intruder, he returned indoors and waited for Glorfindel to join him.

Some minutes later Glorfindel entered the bedroom and walked over to where Erestor sat.

“Oh, I should write to your parents first,” he said just as he started to sit. Walking to a small writing desk in the corner, he quickly wrote out an invitation for dinner and took it through the dining room and formal lounge area to give it to a page to deliver to Erestor’s parents.

“So, would you like to be black or white?” Glorfindel asked as he came back and sat down.

“It does not bother me. I can play as either colour,” Erestor said.

“Very well,” Glorfindel conceded and picked up the kings. Hiding his hands behind his back he shuffled them from hand to hand. “Left or right?”

“Right.” Glorfindel brought forth his hand and presented the white king to Erestor.

“You go first,” Glorfindel simply stated and replaced the figures. Carefully spinning the board around so the white pieces faced Erestor, he signalled with his hand for his husband to begin.

~*~

“Ah, you are too good for me,” Erestor said congenially and knocked over his king. “Well done.”

“Thankyou, but I have been force-fed battle tactics since I was a babe, I fear your loss was inevitable,” Glorfindel joked with a cheeky smile. Erestor smiled graciously. “Course, it was the longest game I believe I have ever played, well done on lasting so long. Good lord, it is almost dark! Your parents should be here in about an hour…” he said off handedly. A maid had brought their letter of acceptance mid way through the game, at which time Glorfindel asked her to advise the kitchen staff of the change in dinner plans. “I might take Asfala back to the barn first, though. You do not mind packing up, do you?” Glorfindel asked.

“Not at all,” Erestor said, already placing the pieces inside the box. Glorfindel turned and walked out the door. Erestor put the board and pieces away, then went to the bathroom to freshen up. After a quick bath, he donned a light green, semi-formal robe with a heavy necklace lying over the top. Glorfindel returned not long after and also bathed, dressing afterwards in brown leggings and a green shirt. He pulled the top layers of his hair away form his face, but left the rest unbound, not wishing to appear too lordly for Erestor’s parents.

“Shall we wait for them in the sitting room?” Glorfindel asked, once they were both ready.

“It does seem the most appropriate place to greet them,” Erestor agreed. Together they walked into the parlour and awaited the arrival of Erestor’s parents. Having been seated for most of the afternoon, both elves opted to stand.

“Would you like me to open a bottle of wine?” Erestor asked.

“Oh… do your parents like wine?” Glorfindel asked.

“I honestly do not know,” Erestor replied casually, a comment which made Glorfindel all the more disappointed in his mother’s selfishness.

“Perhaps a light red might be best, then,” Glorfindel said.

Erestor walked to a cabinet and opened the glass doors. Inside sat almost thirty bottles of wine. Selecting a red almost five years old, Erestor easily pulled out the cork with a corkscrew.

“Would you like a glass now?” Erestor asked, holding up the bottle.

“No thankyou, just leave it to breathe for a moment,” Glorfindel answered. Erestor nodded his head and left the bottle on a table out of the way. “Do you like wine?”

“I am not adverse to it, though I do prefer water. I have been taught much about wines and know that in certain circumstances the consumption of it is unavoidable. Fear not, I shall do my best not to embarrass you at any formal occasion,” Erestor soothed with a small smile.

Glorfindel was about to correct Erestor’s assumption when a knock at the door came. Glorfindel quickly stepped up to the door and grasped the handle. Erestor easily glided into place just behind him. Glorfindel sent a reassuring smile in Erestor direction, before he turned and opened the door. A bright smile lit his features as the dark haired elves came into view.

“Earane, Estoria! So good to see you again so soon! Please, come in!” Glorfindel swept a hand around him to invite them in.

“Same to you, Lord Glorfindel. I must admit we were a little surprised to receive an invitation from you so soon after the wedding. I hope everything is in order?” Earane asked politely, not yet moving from the hallway.

Glorfindel looked dumbstruck for a moment. “Yes… Everything is fine. Just a friendly meal and light conversation between two couples.”

“Well, if anything is amiss do not hesitate to say so. I do so hate facades of congeniality before true feeling are revealed,” Earane said through a smile. Glorfindel’s face faltered for a moment before he started laughing nervously.

“No, no plan to lure you here unawares, just a meal to share between family,” he said.

“Oh, is Lady Gwendil joining us?” Estoria asked as she moved over the threshold.

“No, unfortunately. I was rather hoping to get to know you better, whereas I doubt I could understand my mother even if I lived longer than the Valar themselves!” Glorfindel laughed and Erestor smiled. Earane and Estoria looked at each other knowingly but said nothing.

“Mother, father, is it good to see you again,” Erestor bowed. “I trust you had an enjoyable time yesterday?”

“Ahh, yes, it was a fine enough occasion. A little out of our standing, but pleasant enough,” Estoria replied.

Erestor nodded, knowing what his mother meant. All four stood just inside the doorway and looked at each other nervously for a moment.

“May I take your cloaks?” Erestor asked after a moment of uncomfortable silence.

“Oh, yes! Let me help you,” Glorfindel chimed in and assisted Estoria take off her outer clothing. He then gave the cloak to Erestor, whom placed them on the stand just near the door. “Ah, dinner has not arrived just yet, so why do we not have a little wine while we wait?” Glorfindel offered.

“Oh, yes thankyou, that would be lovely,” Earane accepted.

Erestor immediately walked over to the open bottle and poured four glasses. Handing two over to his parents, he then collected the small amount he had poured for himself and Glorfindel’s glass. Glorfindel walked closer and took the wine from his husband and placed an arm casually around the slim shoulders. Turning back to Earane and Estoria, he held his glass up high.

“To family,” he simply said, looking at the couple a few steps away from him. Turning to the side, he gently chinked his cup with Erestor’s and began sipping the red liquid.

“Mmm… very fine,” Earane complimented.

“Please, have a seat, you must be exhausted after all the festivities yesterday,” Glorfindel said and waited until the guests and Erestor sat down before doing so himself.

All those present sat in silence once more, trying to think of something to say, occasionally nodding their heads when eye contact was made before looking away again.

“How goes your clothing store?” Glorfindel asked Estoria after a moment. “I hear you are the most sought-after haberdasher in all of Gondolin!”

“Well if that were true, I am far too humble to admit it. Though I have recently had to employ two assistants to ensure I am able to finish projects on time. Of course though, I am handling your ceremonial robes myself. The first fitting should be ready for the day after tomorrow,” she said proudly.

“Oh, but I already have many ceremonial robes,” Glorfindel said.

“Perhaps, but Lady Gwendil asked me to make matching outfits for your crowning ceremony.”

“Oh,” Glorfindel said under his breath. “Well, knowing your usual style I am sure they shall be grand garments indeed. I had a peek in Erestor’s cupboard earlier today and saw many beautiful robes. I am sure everyone will want your skills upon their clothes once Erestor shows them off at court,” Glorfindel smiled genially.

“You are kind to say so, my Lord,” Estoria bowed her head.

Just then a knock at the door came.

“I think dinner has arrived,” Glorfindel half-announced and stood up.

“No, allow me,” Erestor tried and quickly gained his feet.

“That is alright Erestor, why do you not show your parents through to the dining room?” Glorfindel suggested as he walked to the door. Erestor picked up Glorfindel’s glass and the half-full bottle of wine and took his parents into the next room.

“Please, have a seat, dinner will be here within a moment,” he said and placed the wine on the table. A few seconds later Glorfindel rolled in a trolley carrying their food.

“I hope you are in the mood for roast pork!” Glorfindel said and lifted the silver lids covering the hot, freshly cooked pig. Everyone smiled at him but said nothing. Picking up the plates, he handed them around the table, softly shooing Erestor away as he tried to assist. Squatting down, he removed a platter of salad and one of vegetables from the bottom drawer and placed it in the centre of the table.

Sitting down next to Erestor, he smiled across the table once again at his parents-in-law. Nodding his head nervously, he picked up his cutlery and began cutting into his meat. Taking their cue from Glorfindel, the others collected their knives and forks and began eating also.

Polite, nervous, broken conversation was shared between all as they ate their meal, none daring to stray from trivial subjects. They had just finished discussing Earane’s new range of jewellery when Lady Gwendil, without knocking, opened the door and stood in the doorway surveying the scene before her.

“Oh, Lady Gwendil, shall you be joining us after all?” Estoria asked, patting her mouth with her serviette.

“Indeed I shall,” she quickly responded and walked to the table. Her hand had just grasped the back of a chair when Glorfindel caught her wrist.

“Forgive me mother, but you were not invited. Tonight is just for Erestor’s parents,” Glorfindel said as quietly as he could, but knew the others had heard anyway.

Gwendil looked as though she was about to refute her son’s wishes, but eventually an understanding smile came over her face. “If you so wish,” she removed her hand from the chair and turned to leave. Just as she got to the door, without turning around, she called back to the elves gathered. “Earane, Estoria, are you aware your son refuses to bear my grandson?” Glorfindel only had time to widen his eyes in anger before Gwendil disappeared from view. He debated going after her, but Earane’s voice stopped him.

“Erestor, is this true?” his father asked, his features pulled into a half-angry visage.

“No father, it is not as Lady Gwendil tells it,” he tried to placate.

“Then how might it be?” Estoria joined her husband in staring down their only son.

Erestor floundered, wondering how to put it, and eventually swung his eyes to Glorfindel, beseeching help.

“It is not that Erestor or myself do not wish to bring a child into the world, it is just that on the advice on our Healer, it has been decided that we shall not try until Erestor has at least reached his majority,” Glorfindel explained, his voice nothing but gentle and soothing.

“That is eight years away!” Earane nearly screeched.

“Yes, I am aware of that,” Glorfindel agreed.

“Not that I am here to give advice, but I do not think waiting nearly a decade to ensure your line shall be continued is recommended,” Estoria chimed in.

“No, it is not, however for the sake of Erestor’s health, it has been decided so,” Glorfindel said and placed a hand on Eretsor’s shoulder. Erestor looked at his parents, his features mirroring their concerned ones.

“But he is ripe! Your Healers have said so! What could possibly go wrong if he is ready to conceive?” Earane demanded.

“Based on past cases, it has been determined having a child now could be disastrous to Erestor given his slender build. That is a risk I would rather not test so early on our marriage. A child can wait a few years while we adjust to our new life,” Glorfindel announced, a tone of finality in his voice. The couple sitting across from him wished to say more but bit their tongue.

“I find myself suddenly full,” Estoria said after a short silence.

“Yes, me too. If you would excuse us, I think we shall be on our way. Thankyou for a lovely evening, Lord Glorfindel. Erestor, if you would walk us out,” Earane spoke and marched out the door, leaving no room for argument.

Erestor removed the napkin from his lap and placed it on the table before following his parents. He caught up to them just as they were donning their cloaks.

“Mother, father, everything is not as it seems,” he started.

“No? Because it sounds as though Lord Glorfindel does not see you fit to carry his child!” Earane hissed.

“It is not like that-”

“Not to mention Lady Gwendil’s provisos stated in the agreement. A child must be born within-”

“I know mother!” Erestor whispered. He sighed and turned his head, making sure they were not being overheard. “It seems Lord Glorfindel has not been privy to the details laid out in our betrothal. I am working hard to convince him to have this child, but when I push the subject too far, he gets angry. I shall keep trying, of course, I do not wish to squander your sacrifice for me without a fight. Please, leave it to me. All conditions shall be met, you will see.”

Estoria snorted through her nose, and straightened her mouth. “If you think you can do this…?”

“I do, mother. But please, we have lingered too long. I should go back.”

“Very well. We expect regular updates,” Earane said, then walked out.

“You shall have them,” he called after his parents, closing the door behind them. Walking back to the dining room he saw Glorfindel looking forlornly around the table.

“I do not think we have had a single meal today that has not been interrupted by my mother. And it is only our first day of marriage,” he smiled grievously.

“I should apologise for my parents-”

“No,” Glorfindel held a hand up; “there is no need. I think my mother’s actions are far more outrageous than your parents put together. But, did you enjoy the time shared with them, up until my mother’s arrival at least?”

“I did. Tense, though it was.”

Glorfindel sighed softly and looked at Erestor thoughtfully. “They seemed a bit cautious when it came to news of our marriage.”

“They have been working towards our union for so long now. Should it fail they would have sacrificed more than the payment from your parents forty years ago,” Erestor tried to explain.

“True… They were not happy about mention of the baby, or lack thereof.”

“Neither is your mother,” Erestor gently teased.

“Yes, but she has a reputation to uphold and lineage to think of… why would your parents care? They do not have the burden my mother does…”

“They do also have the future in mind though. And to see their grandson would be a joyous occasion. I have admitted I do not know them as well as I should, but I cannot imagine many happy events occurring in the last four decades for them,” Erestor theorised.

“True… Oh well, it has been a long day. Do you wish for more food, or would you like to retire now?”

“I have had enough, but do not let that stop you.”

“No, I am fine. Shall we?” Glorfindel stood and held his hand out to Erestor. Erestor ducked his head and lightly grasped his husband’s hand. He was led into the bedroom and after a quick change into their bedclothes, they settled into the big mattress, almost a metre separating them in the wide expanse.

“Good night, Glorfindel,” Erestor’s soft voice broke through the darkness.

“Good night, my husband.”

Erestor turned on his side and smiled into the night.



TBC







Hey everyone, sorry for the delay. I’ve actually had this finished for going on three weeks, but there have been delays here and there and everywhere…

Anyway, you have it now and that’s all that matters.

Now, for anyone who doesn’t know, I’m going to Sydney on Wednesday for three weeks. YAY! So, in between anime conventions, visiting family and my beta reader, Naresha, I’m gonna try and write as much as I can so maybe I’ll have a chapter or two for you all when I return. We’ll see…

So from me, toodles! And, try not to miss me too much :p

Luv Mawgy