RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Two elves of Imladris are hiding in the bushes, observing a third, who is industriously hammering away on a rather unusual and unidentifiable structure….

 “Well. I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it for myself. Is this what all the secrecy was about?”

 “Apparently. Every time I've been in the library, he's been there- drawing something and mumbling to himself. I tried to see over his shoulder, but he flipped the parchment face down and told me to mind my own business.”

 “Hmm. I suppose we’ll find out when he’s finished. Why all the way down here, though? There’s no view to speak of, and it’s not convenient to the house. Can’t even see it from the front lawn.” 

“Your guess is as good as mine. It’s too small to be a pavilion, and there aren’t any openings around the sides, other than the door. The quarter moon he carved out is a nice touch. Rather decorative, in an understated sort of way…” 

“ I see where earth has been moved. Has he been digging a foundation?”

 “It looks that way. Although there’s more soil been moved than a standard foundation would require. Whoever would have thought he even knew what a shovel was for, or a hammer, for that matter? He’s always had a reputation for being rather “prissy”- at least in Thranduil’s opinion.”

 “He’s definitely out of his realm of expertise, although I’d never tell him how unattractive it is. He’s probably very proud of his little project.”

“Think we should offer to help?”

“With respect, I think we’d better leave well enough alone. He’d probably just throw the hammer at us anyway.”

“If he did, he would probably be doing himself a favor. I know he’s hit his thumb at least three times, and I haven’t heard language like that except when he's talking to his computer or from drunken dwarves.”

"Speaking of drunken dwarves, do you hear singing?" 

"I thought I did, but I thought I was imagining it. Is there someone inside that thing?" 

"More likely under it, from the direction of the sound, and the sound's name is Gimli, I do well believe." 

"Why would Gimli be under it? What's he doing, digging a tunnel?" 

"A mystery indeed." 

So engrossed are these unlikely spies, they are not aware of another presence until this presence speaks from directly behind them.

 "Ada? Why are you and Lord Glorfindel hiding in the bushes? And what are you whispering about?"

 Both jump guiltily. "Er, Uh, We are not hiding! We're uh..."

 "Uh, Lord Glorfindel found this most unusual plant, and er… called my attention to it. Uh, I wanted to uh..." 

"You wanted to investigate it in regards to it's er...healing properties!" (Glorfindel elbows Elrond's ribs)

 "Ahem, Yes! That's right! Most unusual...I simply had to see about this...plant."

 Arwen leans over his shoulder to see the plant Glorfindel is being so protective of.

 "Be careful, dear! We don't want you to get too close! It may be poisonous!"

 Glorfindel eagerly nods. “That’s right! We don't want to take a chance until we know it won't cause harm."

 Arwen looks suspiciously from Elrond to Glorfindel.

 "Ada...it's a dandelion."

 "Er, well. So it is. A rather unusual specimen though, don't you think?" (Elbow sharply to Glorfindel's ribs, followed by a look of intense scrutiny directed toward the plant in question by Glorfindel)

 "Yes, my lord Elrond...a most unusual specimen, I must agree."

 Arwen slowly shakes her head, on her face a look of longsuffering exasperation. 

"The only "unusual specimens" I've seen in the last hour are lurking under these bushes, and plants have nothing to do with it. Maybe I should ask Erestor and Gimli what you're doing."

 "NO!!! I mean… please don't disturb them. They seem to be rather involved at the moment..." 

"Are you sure, Ada? I don't mind, you know..." 

"QUITE sure, and thank you dearest. Why don't you go er, do some needlework, or something?" 

"Are you trying to get rid of me, Ada?" 

"No! Absolutely not! We didn't want you to get ...er, dirty! Isn't that so, Glorfindel?" (The fact that this last statement was punctuated with another elbow to the ribs has earned Elrond a glower from his Captain, not to mention Arwen.)

Inspiration strikes, however, in the form of Glorfindel's backhanded smack to Elrond's forehead.
Elrond, had he not been already crouched at ground level, would have staggered, as it is, he merely lands heavily on his backside.

 "I knew it!" Glorfindel exclaims." Lord Elrond is obviously running a fever...The plant has caused a sudden and extreme reaction! We must get you back to the house immediately!" Glorfindel is hauling Elrond to his feet as he speaks.

 Elrond, swaying rather unsteadily, mumbles. "I think I have a headache..." 

TBC