RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Some folks, er...elves can't leave well enough alone...

"If he catches you...I don't want to know about it," Elrond states, his furrowed brow mirroring his misgivings.

Glorfindel meanwhile, is decked out head to toe in black, preparing himself for his mission. "He's not going to catch me. I slipped a little insurance in his wine awhile ago and now he's snoring so loud he wouldn't hear the horn of Oromë if it were being blown directly in his ear."

"You know what is said about cats and curiosity..." Elrond warns.

"Indeed I do. This is one cat you don't have to worry about. I'll be back shortly with the answer to our little mystery, with Erestor none the wiser."

"I've still got a bad feeling about this," Elrond sighs.

"Worrywart. Pour yourself another round and quit stewing. I'll be back before you finish the glass." With this, Glorfindel slips out onto the balcony and over the rail, as silently as a shadow.

Later...

Elrond is sitting before the fire; fourth glass in hand, after his fifteenth trip to peer into the darkness from the balcony. He is seriously considering pacing the floor just to have something to do when a sudden raucous noise from behind startles him. Whipping around, he drags one braid through the latest glass of wine, causing the rest to slosh into his lap.

 Standing in the doorway are Erestor, Gimli, and Arwen. Each has a glass in hand. Erestor cuts loose with another mighty "snore", Gimli guffaws, and Arwen is attempting to giggle and smirk at the same time. All three raise their glasses in toast to Elrond, who is blushing to the hairline, feigning innocence, attempting to salvage something of his dignity, and failing miserably at all but the blushing.

"Where is Glorfindel, Lord Elrond?" Erestor's question is delivered with a pointed stare.

"We are SO busted..." is the first thought flitting through Elrond's mind as he frantically searches for a plausible answer. "Er, um...He went out. Good," he thinks. "Keep it simple. Maybe they won't notice."

Erestor's nod causes Elrond to relax momentarily. He has never been very good at squirming.

"How long ago?" Gimli suddenly demands.

"Awhile? I wasn't really paying attention...Truth again," Elrond thinks. I didn't notice the time. Wait a minute...why is Erestor awake?"

"Why are you three up at this time of night? Elrond tries to sound as if this is merely idle curiosity, but doesn't quite pull it off.

"Because I'm not as far gone as you and Glorfy think I am," Erestor laughs. "I may give the appearance of having fallen off the turnip wagon, but I didn't fall off the front of it." He raises his glass again, this time to Arwen and Gimli. "Another toast, my friends. To...busybodies, I think, and the rewards they have so industriously earned."

Elrond watches the grinning trio, still trying to salvage something from the situation, even while continuing to drip on the rug. "There is definitely a conspiracy afoot," he thinks belatedly. "These two have even corrupted my lovely Arwen," although the look and wink she sends his way makes him realize she was probably the mastermind behind this little scenario.

Erestor indulges in a few moments of thoughtful study, sighs deeply, and puts his glass down on a side table. "I suppose we should go rescue him, even though it would be infinitely more satisfying to leave him there until daylight..."

"RESCUE?" Elrond's eyebrows both shoot up toward his hairline. "Why would Glorfindel need rescuing?"

"Because he has probably run afoul of our precautions against his abundantly nosey nature," grinned Erestor.

"I'll get the lantern," mumbles Gimli."And I'll get the soap and water", volunteers Arwen cheerfully. "Glorfy is going to need it."

A short while later, the "rescue" party stands before Erestor's building project. The door of the small structure is swinging slightly in the gentle night breeze, thumping ominously against its frame. Other than this, all is deceptively peaceful.

"Do you think he's in there?" inquires Elrond.

"Oh, he's in there all right. I secured the door before we left this evening," replies Gimli.

"Glorfindel?" Elrond calls. "Are you in there?"

No answer.

"Who's going in after him?" asks Arwen.

"Not me!" replies Gimli, nervously backing away.

"Me neither," said Erestor. "I may need a good head start when he comes out. Since it was your idea, Arwen, it should be you going in. He won't dare take a swing at an elleth- and besides, there's only room for one at a time in there..."

Sighing, Arwen holds out her hand imperiously. "Give me the lantern..."

The rest watch from a mutually agreed upon safe distance as Arwen strides boldly forward and enters the structure. Seconds later they hear her laughing, and the door opens again. "You can come in now," she calls.

Just a moment later there are three faces peering curiously in the door.Confused, Elrond looks around. "Erestor, this is an outho..."

Erestor hurriedly interrupts. "...My new office, if you will, I'm going something Gimli calls "wireless". A nice distance away from those who have been unduly bothered by my little electronic hobby. All the comforts of home..."

"Of course." Gimli replies proudly. "You don't even have to get up to go to the..."

"Ahem!" Elrond interrupts. "Have you forgotten there is a lady present? Now WHERE is Glorfindel?"

Arwen points with exaggerated delicacy. "Down there."

"Down...there?" Cautiously he leans forward to peer into the hole in the platform before him. "Oh my...is that what I think it is?"

At his point, the other three are looking around and over his shoulders, and the sight before them causes Arwen, Erestor and Gimli to totally lose control. Their hysterical laughter as they stagger back from the door causes the somewhat groggy (not to mention soggy) victim to regain consciousness and squint upward into the lantern light reflecting off Elrond's face. Said lantern is wobbling suspiciously, as Elrond is trying mightily to maintain a suitably concerned expression considering the sight before him. Glorfindel is sitting at the bottom of Gimli's industrious excavation, thoroughly coated and dripping with unidentified matter.

"Wha' happened?" mumbles Glorfindel woozily.

Elrond looks around. "As near as I can guess, it looks like the trip wire raised the entire platform seat, the anvil came down...then the seat dropped back in place, which tipped over the bucket...don't worry," he sniffs cautiously- "it's only mud and syrup..."

Glorfindel, elbows propped on his knees, covers his eyes with one begrimed hand. "I think I have a headache..."TBC